A-Frame project demonstrating touch controls for building a VR city scene.
HTC Vive or Oculus Rift with accompanying controllers required to add items to scene.
Load Existing City
Screenshotshttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/kfarr/aframe-city-builder/master/assets/images/screenshot1.png * https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kfarr/aframe-city-builder/master/assets/images/screenshot2.png * https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kfarr/aframe-city-builder/master/assets/images/screenshot3.png * https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kfarr/aframe-city-builder/master/assets/images/screenshot4.png
- Place voxel objects in a fun virtual city of your creation
- Navigate available voxel objects with a scrolling menu interface in VR
- Place base plates for streets, grass, parks and residential lots that snap to a simple grid layout
- Save and load your city to/from JSON format
- Support for Oculus Touch and HTC Vive Controllers (VR headset and controllers required)
- Convenience utilities in /utils for creating new object JSON groups for aspiring city voxel artists
- See history of newly added features here https://github.com/kfarr/aframe-city-builder/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md
How do I add new objects to City Builder?
City Builder is only as cool as the objects you can place! So let's add more! (Some day I'd love to have a sketchfab-like fancy cloud interface for uploading objects, an in-app voxel editor and more, but for now you'll have to do a bunch of manual work.)
(1) Make the object - I suggest using MagicaVoxel: https://ephtracy.github.io/
(2) Come up with a filename - Each object has unique filename according to this suggested naming convention: "creator_group_object". For example "kfarr_bases_valencia" or "mmmm_obj_candle".
(3) Export to OBJ and take preview image For each object, there are multiple files using the same filename but with different extensions to represent their function in the application:
- .jpg - A preview image used to represent the object in a menu interface, stored here: /assets/preview/. Should be 1:1 aspect ratio, suggested 256 x 256 dimensions. (Required)
- .obj, .mtl, .png - Object file format used when placing into A-Frame scene, stored as three files per model here: /assets/obj/ (Required)
- .vox - The object's raw source file that can be edited again in the future, stored here: /assets/vox/ (Optional)
(4) Add to JSON File - To enable placement of the object within the City Builder app, the object needs to be included in a "creator_group" JSON file. Here's an example: /assets/mmmm_veh.json
To make it easier to add a large number of objects at once, there is a utility script to create a new "creator_group" JSON file here: /utils/json_builder.js
(5) Load JSON file from City Builder - You must add the newly created JSON "creator_group" file to the list of included model definitions upon load of City Builder app. Add your filename to this list: https://github.com/kfarr/aframe-city-builder/blob/master/lib/builder-controls.js#L57
(5) Test it out! Take a screenshot while you're testing! Submit a pull request and include a note and your fancy screenshot!
Need inspiration? What are some other objects to make?
- more cool vehicles
- flying things
- more "bases" like intersection, left turn, right turn, green park only, pedestrian and bike path only
- more advanced light poles, signals, signs
How can I contribute to City Builder?
Fork this repo, start making changes, and submit a pull request! Also feel free to file an issue or reach out directly email@example.com with your idea and I can try to help make your idea work.
Need inspiration? Here is a partial wishlist for City Builder features:
NOT IN THIS RELEASE - LATER THINGS TO DO:
- remove old UI2D, add same icons as action menu bar! old dialog pops open #9
- updating hash should trigger loading new city #10
- show HUD message for save success with city name - in VR and on browser desktop #11
- scale large/small (and rotate?) with both grips being pressed (what would happen to undo?) #6
- remove load and save functions from index html file, can add to action-controls or new component #12
- add aframe.city to chrome/daydream vr whitelist #13
- erase tool #14
- placing an object directly over another (especially for snapping baseplates) should replace the existing object, not place both on same location
- create a nice "screensaver" or "viewer" mode to entice people to enter VR. For example: show a list of cities and/or show a city at the start by default
- try adding basic avatar presence using something like: https://github.com/haydenjameslee/networked-aframe
- auto save with visual indicator (this might be required for multi-user collaboration - i want to see what they've added immediately)
- try inverted teleport from forked repo
- add sunlight day cycle as aframe component http://jeromeetienne.github.io/threex.daynight/examples/basic.html; try adding shadow to this too
- error handling when city in hash cannot be loaded from firebase
- inspect (magnifying glass)
- show stats in addition to city name - size of city (objects, area), population (number of chr objects)
- load directly from voxel https://gist.github.com/JoshGalvin/398ad2339ad7ae93e72489684d599466 https://github.com/daishihmr/vox.js
- ability for select bar component to delay loading / init - fetch first set of optgroup options from database instead of in index.html
- blender baking of AO texture and progressive application of AO textures after scene fully loaded
- support for google draco object compression
- add a small haptic feedback see: https://github.com/imgntn/jBow/blob/ab2d254f288c563f33e6ed745e41a72ee2b7f759/components/bow-and-arrow.js#L163
- create components from the useful a-frame stuff (menu switcher, save/load json, desktop dialog ui, message notification)
- sound effects - commodore 64 style?
- aframe city website - have a central registry of objects (json file is fine to start) that is not in index.html file ui inspiration - https://buffy.run/model/578e438962c6c80000ea4c5e -> this could be done without a server -> use a git based site builder service. register this as aframe.city
- try progressive enhancement to replace obj with baked ply after loading
- load new scenes without destroying original (load by appending) - does not handle collision case
- add some clouds
- send a VR postcard to facebook / social media
- integrate with http://streetmix.net/ to generate street blocks
- auth / storage service
- highlight currently overlapping grid location
- cars to follow prescribed course on roads
- add aframe snowplay type support https://github.com/rondagdag/aframe-snow-play
- persistent multiuser world
- use geolocation api to with virtual citybuilder locations to create "mini second life"
- try isometric view on mobile / non-vr devices (examples aframevr/aframe#84 and http://wafi.iit.cnr.it/webvis/lab/preview.php?gist_id=07b5887a1d57b40b6065)
- add non-flat lowpoly terrain like this example https://playcanvas.com/
- most models made by Mike Judge, see more here: https://github.com/mikelovesrobots/mmmm
- table http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/table-65702.html
- tree and simple base plates created by kfarr using magicavoxel (https://ephtracy.github.io/)
- city builder text based on https://github.com/ngokevin/kframe/blob/master/components/text/examples/vaporwave/index.html
- vox/kfarr_veh_tram_avenio.vox inspired by https://sketchfab.com/models/7e3d9f90af9447dabcb813a4af43ae76