Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 31 million developers.Sign up
Changes to the filename pattern entry:
- Reworked tooltips for each field, now containing usage, details and some examples.
- Explicitly specified tags are no longer sorted alphabetically.
- Changed the default separator and wrapper for the
- Modified several arguments to use the
%notation for brevity and consistency.
- Added a field to specify several layer or image attributes - layer width, height, x- and y-offsets and image width and height.
- Added an option to the number field (such as
) to disable resetting numbering across layer groups.
- From version 3.3 onward, obsolete settings, procedures or constraints are automatically replaced when first starting the plug-in with a newer version.
- Due to significant changes in 3.3, make sure to perform a clean reinstall. The plug-in can still function without performing a clean reinstall (a warning dialog will ask you to clear settings), but will likely not be usable from the command line.
- Removed installers for Linux and macOS. The installers were not flexible enough to handle the diversity of available GIMP installers and different installation directories. The manual package is simple enough to install anyway (in some cases, simpler than the installers).
- Added the ability to add any PDB procedures to apply to all layers before export (blur, scale, drop shadows, ...). The argument values of any procedure can be adjusted by clicking the edit button.
- "Operations" are now referred to as "procedures".
- Allowed adding the same procedure or constraint multiple times.
- Allowed editing the name of procedures and constraints.
- Procedures or constraints are now enabled when added.
- Removed "Use image size". Added "Use layer size" having the opposite meaning to the list of custom procedures. This procedure is enabled by default.
- Removed "Treat layer groups as folders". The folder structure is now preserved by default and can be disabled by adding the new "Ignore folder structure" procedure.
- Moved "Only visible layers" to the list of constraints (still disabled by default).
- "Include layers" is now always displayed by default for clarity.
- Flattened menu items for built-in constraints for improved discoverability.
- "Only layers with tags" and "Only layers without tags" now optionally allow including/excluding only specific tags.
- "Insert background layers" and "Insert foreground layers" now allow modifying which tag represents back- and foreground layers, respectively.
- The preview is now displayed always, i.e. even if "Show More Settings" is unchecked. This helps users visualize the export even with the basic setup.
- Upon starting the plug-in, the image preview defaults to the active layer if there is no selection in the layer name preview.
- The image preview will be set to manual update if the update takes too long (currently set to 1 second). The automatic update can be turned on/off using the menu entry available above the image preview.
- Name preview: Renamed "Add tag..." to "Add New Tag...". Creating a new tag now automatically applies that tag to all the currently selected layers.
- Improved handling of long or multi-line in-dialog messages.
- Restored auto-hiding of in-dialog messages and delayed preview updates (the latter saving performance).
- Cleaned up arguments for
pdb.gimp_plugin_export_layersdue to the removal of the three settings visible in the "basic" GUI.
- Performed small adjustments in layout and spacing in the GUI.
- Changed mnemonics of GUI elements to avoid clashes with mnemonics for GTK widgets (such as folder chooser).
- Removed the redundant
Homepage from the documentation for the ZIP package.
- Errors are now logged as early as possible. If the plug-in is not fully initialized yet, the errors are logged into the
- Fixed image preview leaving artifacts when downsizing the image (by dragging panes).
- Fixed the main dialog displaying visually jarring white background for a short moment while initializing.
- Fixed a rare crash in the image preview for nested empty layer groups.
- Added installers for Linux and macOS.
- Pressing the Help button now opens the Documentation subpage rather than the main page of the plug-in.
- Fixed updates to previews not working and info/error messages not disappearing automatically for GIMP 2.10 on Windows.
- Fixed GIMP version checks causing incorrect behavior of progress bars and preventing displaying several file extensions available on certain GIMP versions.
- Added a simple installer for Windows.
- Plug-in dialog now properly inherits the theme set in GIMP 2.10.
- Updated the list of file formats and extensions for GIMP 2.10.
- Error messages no longer disappear automatically after a while.
- Added a small amount of padding in the bottom part of the plug-in dialog.
- Fixed plug-in failing to load for GIMP 2.10 on Windows.
- Fixed a crash when running the plug-in after an upgrade from an early version
(up to 3.0-RC1).
- Several minor updates to documentation.
- Created a single release package for GIMP 2.8, 2.9 and 2.10.
- Further decreased width of the file extension entry and filename pattern entry.
- Properly fixed enabled/disabled state of previews.
- Created a separate release for GIMP 2.9. This release does not contain the smaller progress bar (displayed while exporting) due to the plug-in dialog freezing during the export.
- Tagged layer groups can now be inserted, even if "Include layer groups"
constraint is disabled.
- Made "[layer path]" and "[tags]" fields for the filename pattern entry more
- If a field for the filename pattern entry has several variations for its
arguments, the tooltip displays each variation on a separate line.
- File extension entry is now expandable.
- Decreased width of the file extension and filename pattern entries.
pygimplibfolder back under
- Fixed incorrect positioning of layers in the image previews.
- Fixed incorrect layer name in the image preview when a layer is first
- Fixed Reset Settings not working for settings persisting during a GIMP
- Fixed enabled/disabled state of previews.
- Fixed extra period in export failure messages.
- Renamed "filters" to "constraints" to avoid confusion with the concept of
- Adding a previously enabled and subsequently removed operation or constraint
will now be disabled when added back again.
pygimplibfolder above the
- Changed user documentation to HTML (more-or-less a copy of the plug-in page).
- Fixed operations being ignored for "Export Layers (repeat)".
- Fixed dialog position resetting after closing the file format dialog.
- Fixed tagged layers (notably foreground and background) not working for
- Added French, Russian and Ukrainian translations.
Redesign of the basic user interface:
- "Advanced settings" are now referred to as "more settings".
- Merged the "Save Settings" and "Reset Settings" buttons and the "Advanced
Settings" expander into one button named "Settings".
- Renamed "Export Layers" button to just "Export".
- Removed "Autocrop layers" from basic settings.
- Added a second progress bar indicating the export progress of the current
- Misc. adjustments of GUI elements (size and spacing).
Major additions and redesign of the "advanced" user interface:
- Added option to rename layers according to a pattern (defaulting to the layer
- Removed GUI elements for "advanced" settings.
- Added option to add back the "advanced" settings as operations or filters via
"Add Operation..." and "Add Filter..." boxes.
- Added preview displaying layer names to be exported.
- Added image preview of the layer selected in the layer name preview.
- Removed the option to tag layers by renaming layers. Instead, layers can now
be tagged via the layer name preview.
Changes to settings:
- Renamed "Ignore invisible layers" to "Only visible layers".
- Added the following settings acting as additional operations before export:
- "Insert background layers"
- "Insert foreground layers"
- "Inherit transparency from layer groups"
- "Ignore layer modes"
- "Autocrop background"
- "Autocrop foreground"
- "Use file extensions in layer names"
- Added the following settings acting as additional filters of layers:
- "Include layers" (enabled by default)
- "Include layer groups"
- "Include empty layer groups"
- "Only layers with tags"
- "Only layers without tags"
- "Only top-level layers"
- "Only layers selected in preview"
- Removed settings not in the lists above as the same functionality can be
achieved via additional operations and filters or the filename pattern text
- Fixed crash when "Search" or "Recently Used" were selected in the folder
- Fixed in-dialog messages with special characters not being displayed.
- Fixed "Export Layers (Repeat)" terminating prematurely if the user closed the
overwrite dialog during a previous export.
- Reduced the number of PDB parameters for "plug-in-export-layers" as a result
of the replacement of advanced settings with operations and filters.
- Export can now be stopped by pressing Escape.
- Export is now stopped if the image is closed during the export.
- Tagged layer groups are now also considered by settings dealing with tags.
- Added undo/redo capability to the file extension entry.
- JPEG dialog is no longer displayed in "Export Layers (Repeat)".
- In-dialog informative messages (e.g. "Settings successfully saved") now
disappear automatically after a while.
- Added a feature to tag layers as foreground layers. To use it, type "[foreground]" before the layer name.
- Changed the way background layers are specified. Instead of enclosing the layer name in square brackets, type "[background]" before the layer name. If you used background layers, make sure to change the layer names.
- Changed the setting "Layer names in [square brackets]" to "[Tagged] layers" and several other setting values to reflect the addition of foreground layers.
- The main dialog now hides again when a file format dialog is about to be displayed, in order to make sure that the file format dialog is not displayed behind the main dialog. The main dialog reappears after the file format dialog is closed by the user.
- Consolidated error and warning messages displayed when an error during export or an unhandled exception occurred.
- The plug-in no longer crashes when it doesn't need to for certain errors during export, such as too long filenames.
- The output directory and input directories of imported images are no longer validated. If the output directory is invalid, a warning message is displayed and the user can try exporting again. This also avoids needless crashes.
- The plug-in no longer remembers settings in the non-interactive run mode. This behavior is consistent with other GIMP plug-ins.
- "Export only layers matching file extension" is now applied before tagged layers are processed. This means that when this setting is selected and back/foreground layers don't have a matching file extension, they will no longer form the back/foreground of the exported layer.
- The "File extension" text field now displays a dropdown list of file formats and associated file extensions (upon clicking or pressing Up/Down keys). Several third-party formats are also listed, provided that the corresponding plug-ins are installed. You can still enter a file extension not in the dropdown list in case you use a different file format plug-in.
- Renamed "Export Layers to" to "Export Layers (repeat)".
- Added mnemonics (keyboard shortcuts) to the dialog in "Export Layers (repeat)" and to the overwrite confirmation dialog.
- Fixed crash for input images located in folders that contain accented characters.
- Fixed export of layers with file extensions containing periods (e.g. "xcf.bz2") if files with the same name already exist in the chosen output folder.
- If "Use as file extensions" is selected and layers contain multiple extensions for the same file format (e.g. "jpeg", "jpg" or "jpe" for the JPEG format), the file format dialog is now displayed only once.
- If a layer name is enclosed with multiple pairs of square brackets, only the outermost pair is removed upon the export (e.g. a layer named "[[Background]]" is exported as "[Background].png").
- Removed " copy" suffix from the names of exported layers for formats preserving layer information (e.g. PSD or XCF).
- On Ubuntu, replaced the overlay scrollbar with the classic scrollbar.