Expand region increases the selected region by semantic units. Just keep pressing the key until it selects what you want.
(setq alphabet-start "abc def")
With the cursor at the
c, it starts by marking the entire word
expand to the contents of the quotes
abc def, then to the entire quote
"abc def", then to the contents of the sexp
setq alphabet-start "abc def"
and finally to the entire sexp.
You can set it up like this:
(require 'expand-region) (global-set-key (kbd "C-=") 'er/expand-region)
You can contract the region again with a negative prefix, if you expand too far.
Expand region works fairly well with most languages, due to the general nature of the basic expansions:
er/mark-word er/mark-symbol er/mark-symbol-with-prefix er/mark-next-accessor er/mark-method-call er/mark-inside-quotes er/mark-outside-quotes er/mark-inside-pairs er/mark-outside-pairs er/mark-comment er/mark-url er/mark-email er/mark-defun
However, most languages also will benefit from some specially crafted expansions. For instance, expand-region comes with these extra expansions for html-mode:
er/mark-html-attribute er/mark-inner-tag er/mark-outer-tag
You can add your own expansions to the languages of your choice simply by creating a function that looks around point to see if it's inside or looking at the construct you want to mark, and if so - mark it.
There's plenty of examples to look at in these files.
After you make your function, add it to a buffer-local version of
Let's say you want expand-region to also mark paragraphs and pages in
text-mode. Incidentally Emacs already comes with
mark-page. To add it to the try-list, do this:
(defun er/add-text-mode-expansions () (make-variable-buffer-local 'er/try-expand-list) (setq er/try-expand-list (append er/try-expand-list '(mark-paragraph mark-page)))) (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'er/add-text-mode-expansions)
Add that to its own file, and add it to the
where it says "Mode-specific expansions"
Warning: Badly written expansions might slow down expand-region dramatically. Remember to exit quickly before you start traversing the entire document looking for constructs to mark.
If you make some nice expansions for your favorite mode, it would be great if you opened a pull-request. The repo is at:
All changes must be accompanied by feature tests. They are written in Ecukes, a Cucumber for Emacs.
To fetch the test dependencies, install cask if you haven't already, then:
$ cd /path/to/expand-region $ cask
Run the tests with:
If feature tests are missing for the mode you are changing, please make sure to add a set of basic tests around the functionality you're changing.
- Josh Johnston contributed
- Le Wang contributed consistent handling of the mark ring, expanding into pairs/quotes just left of the cursor, and general code clean-up.
- Raimon Grau added support for when transient-mark-mode is off.
- Roland Walker added option to copy the contents of the most recent action to a register, and some fixes.
- Damien Cassou added option to continue expanding/contracting with fast keys after initial expand.
- Sylvain Rousseau fixed loads of little annoyances.
Language specific contributions
- Matt Briggs, Jorge Dias and Le Wang contributed Ruby expansions.
- Ivan Andrus, fgeller, edmccard and Rotem Yaari contributed Python expansions.
- François Févotte contributed C and C++ expansions.
- Ivan Andrus contributed text-mode, LaTeX-mode and nxml-mode expansions.
- Gleb Peregud contributed Erlang expansions.
- Mark Hepburn contributed Octave expansions.
- Rotem Yaari also contributed an adapter for the region expansion in web-mode.
- Kang-min Liu contributed Perl expansions.
- Alexis Gallagher contributs Standard ML expansions.
From 0.8 to 0.9
- Improve org-, clojure-, python-, latex-, cc- and ruby-modes
- Add basic expansions: email and url
- Add sml-mode expansions (Alexis Gallagher)
- Add cperl-mode expansions (Kang-min Liu)
- Add octave-mode expansions (Mark Hepburn)
- Add web-mode expansions (Rotem Yaari)
- Use Carton for dev-dependencies
- Fix bad behavior in minibuffer (Sylvain Rousseau)
- More robust comment expansions
- Improve loading of expansions for all major modes
From 0.7 to 0.8
- Improve js-, ruby-, python- and latex-modes
- Handle narrowed buffers correctly
- Include mode-specific expansions when autoloading
- Provide option to copy the contents of the most recent action to a register
- Add cc-mode specific expansions
- Add customization to turn off skipping whitespace when expanding
- Continue expanding/contracting with one key press (optional)
Copyright (C) 2011-2013 Magnar Sveen
Author: Magnar Sveen firstname.lastname@example.org Keywords: marking region
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.