Laptop is a script to set up a Mac OS X laptop for Rails development.
1) Install a C compiler.
Use OS X GCC Installer for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
Use Command Line Tools for XCode for Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
2) Set zsh as your login shell.
chsh -s /bin/zsh
Run the script:
zsh <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/thoughtbot/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
- Bundler gem for managing Ruby libraries
- Exuberant Ctags for indexing files for vim tab completion
- Foreman gem for serving Rails apps locally
- Heroku Config plugin for local
- Heroku Toolbelt for interacting with the Heroku API
- Hub gem for interacting with the GitHub API
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- Postgres for storing relational data
- Postgres gem for talking to Postgres from Ruby
- Rails gem for writing web applications
- Rbenv for managing versions of the Ruby programming language
- Redis for storing key-value data
- Ruby Build for installing Rubies
- Ruby stable for writing general-purpose code
- SSH public key for authenticating with Github and Heroku
- The Silver Searcher for finding things in files
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
- Watch for periodically executing a program and displaying the output
It should take less than 15 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
Laptop is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc. The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Thank you, contributors!
Laptop is © 2011-2013 thoughtbot, inc. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.