Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 40 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Cleanup and improvements #24
First of all, thanks for sharing your awesome template. It was a great starting place for my blog.
As I prepared to use this template, I did some code cleanup and a few design tweaks. I tried to do this in a way that could be shared back upstream if desired. I also tried to honor the original design and not change anything that would effect the design or use of the template.
Overview of improvements:
I don't expect this PR to be merged as is. I know there's a lot of stuff here. I opened it to start a conversation about merging some of these fixes back into your template. Feel free to say "no thanks" if it's too much. But if you find any of this useful, let me know and we can figure out how to merge the changes.
- Remove items that match the default setting - Use kramdown instead of maruku - Remove references to markdown parsers and extensions that aren't being used - Use default permalink style (with .html extensions)
Twitter Bootstrap was only being used as a css normalize. No need to carry all this css baggage. Copied the few "non-normalize" parts of _bootstrap.scss into _base.scss
The effect was subtle and specific to the sample background image - to darken the lower portion of the image. A gradient that focuses on the title text and logos would make more sense, but I don't think it's necessary.
- The .container rules didn't effect articles because the article css had more specificity. - The extra padding on the index page didn't look good. It created too much space.
- Size and align code blocks to match zoomable images - Code fills width of block to increase room for source code
- Margins of headers, paragraphs, code blocks, images, and blockquotes are now uniform - Scale font sizes and margins with a single change in the article font size rather than individually changing each element.
Needed to add a container div inside article on the index page so it would use the margins defined for the post page. Now everything has the same margin and responsive rules.
- Add XML declaration line - Remove unneeded "unless post.draft" conditional - Include entire post content in description. This allows RSS readers to display the entire story. - Limit to last 20 posts