Go Assembler Formatter
This will format your assembler code in a similar way that
gofmt formats your Go code.
Read Introduction: asmfmt: Go Assembler Formatter
Status: STABLE. The format will only change if bugs are found. Please report any feedback in the issue section.
Binaries can be downloaded from Releases. Unpack the file into your executable path.
To install the standalone formatter from source using Go framework:
go install github.com/klauspost/asmfmt/cmd/asmfmt@latest.
- Apr 8, 2021: Add modules info and remove other than main tools.
- Jan 6, 2021: Fix C comments before line comments like
VPCMPEQB Y8/*(DI)*/, Y0, Y1 // comment...
- Aug 8, 2016: Don't indent comments before non-indented instruction.
- Jun 10, 2016: Fixed crash with end-of-line comments that contained an end-of-block
- Apr 14, 2016: Fix end of multiline comments in macro definitions.
- Apr 14, 2016: Updated tools to Go 1.5+
- Dec 21, 2015: Space before semi-colons in macro definitions is now trimmed.
- Dec 21, 2015: Fix line comments in macro definitions (only valid with Go 1.5).
- Dec 17, 2015: Comments are better aligned to the following section.
- Dec 17, 2015: Clean semi-colons in multiple instruction per line.
To set up a custom File Watcher in Goland,
- Go to Settings -> Tools -> File Watchers
- Press + and choose
- Name it
- File Type, Select
x86 Plan 9 Assembly file(it will apply to all platforms)
- Output Paths to Refresh:
- Working Directory:
Advanced options, Enable:
- Trigger the watcher regardless of syntax errors (IMPORTANT)
- Create output file from stdout
Disable the rest.
To automatically format assembler, in
(defun asm-mode-setup () (set (make-local-variable 'gofmt-command) "asmfmt") (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'gofmt nil t) ) (add-hook 'asm-mode-hook 'asm-mode-setup)
asmfmt [flags] [path ...]
The flags are similar to
gofmt, except it will only process
-d Do not print reformatted sources to standard output. If a file's formatting is different than asmfmt's, print diffs to standard output. -e Print all (including spurious) errors. -l Do not print reformatted sources to standard output. If a file's formatting is different from asmfmt's, print its name to standard output. -w Do not print reformatted sources to standard output. If a file's formatting is different from asmfmt's, overwrite it with asmfmt's version.
You should only run
asmfmt on files that are assembler files. Assembler files cannot be positively identified, so it will mangle non-assembler files.
- Automatic indentation.
- It uses tabs for indentation and blanks for alignment.
- It will remove trailing whitespace.
- It will align the first parameter.
- It will align all comments in a block.
- It will eliminate multiple blank lines.
;at end of line.
- Forced newline before comments, except when preceded by label or another comment.
- Forced newline before labels, except when preceded by comment.
- Labels are on a separate lines, except for comments.
- Retains block breaks (newline between blocks).
- It will convert single line block comments to line comments.
- Line comments have a space after
//, except if comment starts with
- There is always a space between parameters.
- Macros in the same file are tracked, and not included in parameter indentation.
PCDATAand labels are level 0 indentation.
\in multiline macros.
- Whitespace before separating
;is removed. Space is inserted after, if followed by another instruction.