YouTube ALL HTML5
Play all videos on YouTube with your preferred settings (size, quality, playback rate, …) without cookies using only HTML5.
- Automatically change the size of the player and the resolution of the video
- Force HTML5 in cases when YouTube still defaults to Flash
- Start videos paused (always, when not in a playlist, when in a background tab)
- Open video links without the attached playlist (context menu entry)
- Features for users that don't keep cookies:
- Automatically set volume and playback rate
- Disable autoplay of recommended videos
- Hide video annotations
All features of the add-on can be individually configured in the settings
about:addons). These are also directly accessible through a button on every
YouTube video page.
The add-on can be built using
This creates an unsigned add-on. To build a signed version, you have to change the add-on id and submit the add-on to Mozilla Add-ons for signing.
You can run the add-on directly in Firefox with a fresh profile and get log messages on your terminal:
jpm -b firefox-dev run
firefox-dev has to be an aurora (dev) or nightly build of Firefox,
because of a bug in
You need a current version of Firefox with support for MSE and VP9 or H264. You
may have to install
ffmpeg on Linux. Without MSE, only 360p and 720p videos
YouTube provides a test site that checks support for the various pieces necessary. If some element is missing, check the following Firefox settings:
Thanks to Raylan Givens for the hint at emulating IE, Alexander Schlarb for his patch which makes the add-on work with Firefox's click_to_play, Alex Szczuczko for implementing the "pause on start" function and timendum for his work on embedded videos.
This add-on by Klemens Schölhorn is licenced under GPLv3.
The modified HTML5 Logo by W3C is licenced under CC-BY 3.0.