This release fixes a number of bugs related to deferred updates and computed observables.
- stop infinite loop from dirty events in circular computeds (#1943)
- only update a computed if dependency has actually changed; not if it was just dirty (#2174)
- only notify subscriptions that exist when a change occurs; don't notify future subscribers (#2163)
- notify dependent computed of change in reverted observable if the computed previously read a different intermediate value (#1835)
- update a pure computed if a dependency has changed and notification is pending (#2197)
New features and bug fixes
- Improves performance of components, templates, computeds, and observables.
- Includes a native version of deferred updates, along with a microtask queue (
- Calls a
ko.onErrorhandler, if defined, for errors from asynchronous code.
ko.options.useOnlyNativeEventscan be set to tell Knockout to use only native (not jQuery) events.
The 3.4.0 RC release notes has the full list of issues and pull requests included in this release. The final release fixes two regression bugs found in the RC:
- #1903 - New
beforeRemovebehavior can break retained items.
- #1905 - Endless recursion possible with
Possible compatibility issues
- Components now use microtasks to perform updates asynchronously instead of
setTimeout. Since microtasks are run before the browser repaints the page, all loaded components will be initialized and displayed in a single repaint. Although this reduces the overall time needed to display components, it could result in a longer delay before anything is displayed.
- The new, native deferred updates feature has a slightly different API and is implemented differently than the Deferred Updates plugin. Migrating from the plugin will generally require some code changes (full details to come soon).
ko.computedno longer use a closure when defining their methods, such as
valueHasMutated. These functions expect
thisto be set correctly and so can't be used directly as a callback. Instead you'll need to use
bind, such as
Knockout 3.4.0rc release notes
- #1715 - Add ko.onError handler that provides more consistent error/stack information for async operations and event handlers
- #1728 - Include deferred updates functionality in Knockout core
- #1774 - Add
ko.options.useOnlyNativeEvents(default false) that can control if KO uses jQuery (if available) for binding events
- #1839 - Performance Improvement - for named templates that use a
templateor normal element use the element directly as the template to clone
- #1840 - Performance Improvement - Make observables 2-3x faster to instantiate and reduce memory usage by 50%
- #1841 - Performance Improvement - Make computeds 2x faster to instantiate and reduce memory usage by 50%
- #1870 - Add
- #1256 - Better handling when an item is added while a
beforeRemoveanimation is running
- #1380 - observableArray
reversemethods now return the observableArray rather than the underlying array
- #1510 - Do not define a custom element when a component name matches a standard element
- #1591 - Make
checkedbinding work properly with writable computed observables
- #1613 - IE8 issue with calling .apply with an empty second argument
- #1683 - Rearrange code to avoid prototype issue in Opera mobile
- #1709 -
dontLimitMovesoption should be respected when comparing arrays
- #1718 - ko.toJS no longer replaces RegExp objects with plain objects
- #1756 - Use a hasOwnProperty check when registering components
- #1781 - Trim string in default css binding
- #1783 - Skip template elements when binding
- #1788 - Fix
textInputedge case in IE9
- #1790 - Remove version from
bower.jsonand don't update it in build
- #1794 - Exception in an
afterAddcallback should not cause duplicate elements
- #1810 - Don't check for
- #1855 - Fix potential memory leak in
- #1893 -
hasFocusfixes in IE
#1504 - Component configuration can specify a
synchronous option to render already loaded components synchronously.
#1463 - Component child elements are provided to the
createViewModel method, component child elements are exposed on the binding context as
$componentTemplateNodes, and the
template binding can accept an array of DOM nodes directly through the
#1449 - Binding context now contains a
$component property that references the nearest component view model (allows for easily binding to the root of the current component).
#1596 - Create a writable computed within a custom element component when an expression evaluates to an observable (less need to use
#1576 - computed observables (pure or deferred) notify an
awake event with the current value when awakening, pure computeds notify an
asleep event with an
undefined value when going to sleep, and the
getSubscriptionsCount method on an observable can accept an event name argument to return only the count of subscriptions for that event.
#1543 - Sleeping pure computed observables now cache their value.
#1635 - Export
#1427 - Export
#1321 - Ensure that template nodes are created and moved within the correct document to fix cross-window issues in IE.
#1434 - Binding parser skips all colons between the name and value. Support returning malformed bindings (non key-value pairs).
css binding was not clearing a previously added dynamic class when the value bound against changes to null.
#1507 - Memory leak fix for
#1513 - Fix error in
fixUpContinuousNodeArray when using
#1515 - Update
dependentObservable._latestValue when a pureComputed wakes up (affects debug build only)
#1526 - Component's
require option should not try to do an AMD-style
require in a CommonJS scenario.
#1556 - Check that the value passed to
optionsAfterRender is a function before calling
#1597 - CSS binding now works properly with SVG elements
#1606 - Don't bind contents of
#1623 - When using
null selection should be maintained when
option items are updated.
#1634 - Better clean-up of
Knockout 3.2.0 release notes
- 1290 - Components infrastructure and binding. Reusable, extensible components that can dynamically combine a view model and template. Component documentation
- 1385 - Custom elements as a way to consume components (example:
<my-component params="value: price, format: priceFormat"></my-component>). Custom element documentation
- 1359 -
ko.pureComputed- a computed that sleeps when it has no dependencies. Pure computed documentation
- 1160 - Added
textInputbinding for robust handling of real-time updates (key presses, pasting, drag-and-drop, etc.) to a field as an alternative to
valueUpdateoptions. textInput documentation
- 1146 - Make the
valuebinding act like
checkedValuewhen used on same element as
- 1039 - Bower support now includes distributable (built) files (3.1.0 release was also updated to include these files).
This release focuses mainly on performance and stability/compatibility improvements, plus small enhancements to existing functionality (yes, we're saving the big new features for v3.2). So, in 3.1:
- #1190 - new rate limiting functionality to have better control and flexibility over throttle/debounce scenarios
- #1003 -
renderTemplatenow supports the
nameargument being observable.
- #647 - add
valueAllowUnsetoption that allows the
valuebinding to accept a selected value that is not currently in the list of options
- #627 - provide access to dependency count and whether it is the first evaluation within a computed
- #1151 - provide item index to array util method callbacks
- #1272 - deferred computeds will now be evaluated on a manual subscription, if not previously evaluated
- #865 - ko.utils.domNodeDisposal.cleanExternalData extensibility point can be overriden (perhaps to prevent jQuery.cleanData from being called in some scenarios)
- #775 - in browsers that support setting proto, set subscribable/observable/computed/observableArray prototype rather than copy methods from "fn" objects.
- #1221 - use objects instead of arrays to track computed dependencies (can be major perf boost in older IE when there are lots of dependencies on a single computed/observable).
- #1199 - various performance optimizations related to array operations
- #844 - prevent older IE errors with
optionsbinding used in separate document
- #1081 - prevent option placeholder from being re-added in update
- #1191 - remove jQuery workaround related to
checkedbinding when using newer jQuery versions.
- #1193 - look for jQuery instance in
ko.applyBindings, if it was not available when KO was loaded. This helps to prevent issues with KO not taking advantage of jQuery, if it was not loaded before KO.
- #1206 - for observable view models,
$rawDatashould be the observable
- #1207 - "arrayChange" tracking no longer assumes all items added are new on a splice
- #1208 - older IE issue with
optionsbinding related to
optionsCaptionbeing removed on each update
- #1209 - prevent a deferred computed that is disposed before evaluation from taking dependencies when evaluated
- #1214 - prevent errors when using the
valuebinding with jQuery templates
- #1255 - track observables accessed in getBindingAccessors - helps backwards compatibility with custom binding providers
- #1289 - prevent adding a disposal callback when
disposeWhenNodeIsRemovedvalue is not a node
- #1306 -
valuebinding - fix issue related to autocomplete tracking always firing update in browsers that don't fire change event on autocomplete