This project contains a collection of python programs which concern themselves with Twitter bots: non-human twitter accounts which are programmed to tweet.
In order to use these programs, you will need to set up a Twitter account and get Twitter API keys. This is done by the following steps.
- Create a twitter account if you do not already have one.
- Go to https://apps.twitter.com/ and log in with your twitter credentials.
- Click "Create New App"
- Fill out the form, agree to the terms, and click "Create your Twitter application"
- In the next page, click on "API keys" tab, and copy your "API key" and "API secret".
- Scroll down and click "Create my access token", and copy your "Access token" and "Access token secret". Once you have the API keys, you'll need to paste your keys in the appropriate places in the codes above for them to work. We use the Python wrapper Tweepy for our project.
Here is a quick overview of the programs included in this repository.
tweet_stream.py : This uses the Twitter Streaming API to get tweets in real time. You can also filter tweets using key words.
tweetto_user.py : This program tweets to a user as soon as they post a tweet. Useful for bugging your local politician about the status of, say, promised free wifi. Careful about this, excessive spamming may get you banned.
tweetto_user_shuf.py: This program tweets the text of a tweet back to a user after shuffling the words around.
gettweets.py : This program downloads the latest 3000 tweets of a user and stores them in a file called "tweetcorpus".
markov.py : This program implements a markov chain on the downloaded "tweetcorpus" file.
markovimproved.py : This program improves on the previous markov chain program. Details are documented in the code.