The default HTML export the PICO-8 produces does not support gamepad controls. Both Chrome and Firefox now are able to handle them, so I created a small script that rectifies that.
Tested with Xbox pads and Logitech F710 - should work with other gamepads as well.
- Drop pico8gamepad.js in the same directory with your game's HTML and JS.
- In your HTML file, add the following, right before the
<script ... src="yourgame.js">tag:
And you're done! :)
If you like, you can edit the configuration at the top of
pico8gamepad.js to suit your needs (defaults should be fine most of the time):
supportedPlayers- set to 1 if your game is single player to map all controllers to player #1. In general, set it to the number of players supported by your game.
mapXXX- you can choose whether different types of buttons on the controller should be mapped to PICO-8's O and X
stickDeadzone- controls how far you have to push an analog stick for it to register as a PICO-8 d-pad press.
License: zlib license
Copyright (c) 2016 Jakub Wasilewski
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.
Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:
- The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgement in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
- Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
- This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.