The interactive PHP debugger
Implemented as a SAPI module, phpdbg can exert complete control over the environment without impacting the functionality or performance of your code.
phpdbg aims to be a lightweight, powerful, easy to use debugging platform for PHP 5.4+
phpdbg was developed here, then merged into php-src: This repository is no longer used.
- Stepthrough Debugging
- Flexible Breakpoints (Class Method, Function, File:Line, Address, Opcode)
- Easy Access to PHP with built-in eval()
- Easy Access to Currently Executing Code
- Userland API
- SAPI Agnostic - Easily Integrated
- PHP Configuration File Support
- JIT Super Globals - Set Your Own!!
- Optional readline Support - Comfortable Terminal Operation
- Remote Debugging Support - Bundled Java GUI
- Easy Operation - See Help :)
- Improve Everything :)
To install phpdbg, you must compile the source against your PHP installation sources, and enable the SAPI with the configure command.
cd /usr/src/php-src/sapi git clone https://github.com/krakjoe/phpdbg cd ../ ./buildconf --force ./configure --enable-phpdbg make -j8 make install-phpdbg
Where the source directory has been used previously to build PHP, there exists a file named config.nice which can be used to invoke configure with the same parameters as were used by the last execution of configure.
Note: PHP must be configured with the switch --with-readline for phpdbg to support history, autocompletion, tab-listing etc.
Command Line Options
The following switches are implemented (just like cli SAPI):
- -n ignore php ini
- -c search for php ini in path
- -z load zend extension
- -d define php ini entry
The following switches change the default behaviour of phpdbg:
- -v disables quietness
- -s enabled stepping
- -e sets execution context
- -b boring - disables use of colour on the console
- -I ignore .phpdbginit (default init file)
- -i override .phpgdbinit location (implies -I)
- -O set oplog output file
- -q do not print banner on startup
- -r jump straight to run
- -E enable step through eval()
- -l listen ports for remote mode
- -a listen address for remote mode
- -S override SAPI name
Note: Passing -rr will cause phpdbg to quit after execution, rather than returning to the console.
See the website for tutorials/documentation