A curated list of awesome symbolic execution resources including essential research papers, lectures, videos, and tools.
Table of Contents
- Symbolic Execution and Program Testing, James C. King.
- A system to generate test data and symbolically execute programs, L. A. Clarke.
- All You Ever Wanted to Know about Dynamic Taint Analysis and Forward Symbolic Execution (but Might Have Been Afraid to Ask), Edward J. Schwartz, Thanassis Avgerinos, David Brumley.
- A Survey of Symbolic Execution Techniques, Roberto Baldoni, Emilio Coppa, Daniele Cono D’Elia, Camil Demetrescu, and Irene Finocchi.
- Symbolic Execution Lecture at Harvard.
- Symbolic Execution Lecture at Iowa State University.
- Symbolic Execution Lecture at University of Maryland.
- Symbolic Execution Lecture at MIT.
- Symbolic Execution Lecture (part of Software Security course on Coursera).
- JPF-Symbc - Symbolic execution tool built on Java PathFinder. Supports multiple constraint solvers, lazy initialization, etc.
- JDart - Dynamic symbolic execution tool built on Java PathFinder. Supports multiple constraint solvers using JConstraints.
- CATG - Concolic execution tool that uses ASM for instrumentation. Uses CVC4.
- LimeTB - Concolic execution tool that uses Soot for instrumentation. Supports Yices and Boolector. Concolic execution can be distributed.
- Acteve - Concolic execution tool that uses Soot for instrumentation. Originally for Android analysis. Supports Z3.
- jCUTE - Concolic execution tool that uses Soot for instrumentation. Supports lp_solve.
- JFuzz - Concolic execution tool built on Java PathFinder.
- JBSE - Symbolic execution tool that uses a custom JVM. Supports CVC3, CVC4, Sicstus, and Z3.
- Key - Theorem Prover that uses specifications written in Java Modeling Language (JML).
- KLEE - Symbolic execution engine built on LLVM.
- Cloud9 - Parallel symbolic execution engine built on KLEE.
- Kite - Based on KLEE and LLVM.
- PEX - Dynamic symbolic execution tool for .NET.
- CIVL - A framework that includes the CIVL-C programming language, a model checker and a symbolic execution tool.
- PyExZ3 - Symbolic execution of Python functions. A rewrite of the NICE project's symbolic execution tool.
- Rubyx - Symbolic execution tool for Ruby on Rails web apps.
- SAGE - Whitebox file fuzzing tool for X86 Windows applications.
- PathGrind - Path-based dynamic analysis for 32-bit programs.
- FuzzBALL - Symbolic execution tool built on the BitBlaze Vine component.
- S2E - Symbolic execution platform supporting x86, x86-64, or ARM software stacks.
- miasm - Reverse engineering framework. Includes symbolic execution.
- pysymemu - Supports x86/x64 binaries.
- BAP - Binary Analysis Platform provides a framework for writing program analysis tools.
- angr - Python framework for analyzing binaries. Includes a symbolic execution tool.
- Triton - Dynamic binary analysis platform that includes a dynamic symbolic execution tool.
- manticore - Symbolic execution tool for binaries (x86, x86_64 and ARMV7) and Ethereum smart contract bytecode.
- Symbooglix - Symbolic execution tool for Boogie programs.