Version v1.7.2 - Work in Progress
Ksnip is a Qt based cross-platform screenshot tool that provides many annotation features for your screenshots.
Latest ksnip version contains following features:
- Supports Linux (X11, Plasma Wayland and Gnome Wayland), Windows and macOS.
- Taking screenshot of a custom rectangular area that can be drawn with mouse cursor.
- Taking screenshot of last selected rectangular area without selecting again.
- Taking screenshot of the screen/monitor where the mouse cursor is currently located.
- Taking screenshot of full screen, including all screens/monitors.
- Taking screenshot of window that currently has focus.
- Taking screenshot of window under mouse cursor.
- Take screenshot with or without mouse cursor.
- Capture mouse cursor as annotation item that can be moved and deleted.
- Customizable capture delay for all capture options.
- Upload screenshots directly to imgur.com in anonymous or user mode.
- Upload screenshots via custom user defined scripts.
- Command line support, for taking screenshot and saving it to default location, filename and format.
- Filename wildcards for Year ($Y), Month ($M), Day ($D), Time ($T) and Counter (multiple # characters for number with zero leading padding).
- Print screenshot or save is to pdf/ps.
- Annotate screenshots with pen, marker, rectangles, ellipses, texts and other tools.
- Annotate screenshots with stickers and add custom stickers.
- Add watermarks to captured images.
- Global HotKeys for taking Screenshots (Currently only for Windows and X11).
- Tabs for Screenshots and images.
- Open existing images via dialog, drag-and-drop or paste from clipboard.
- Run as single instance application (secondary instances send cli parameter to primary instance).
- Many configuration options.
Supported Screenshot Types
|Rect Area||Last Rect Area||Full Screen||Current Screen||Active Window||Window Under Cursor||Without Mouse Cursor|
Binaries can be downloaded from the release page here. Currently we provide RPM, DEB and AppImage for Linux, zipped EXE for Windows and APP for macOS in a DMG package.
We build and provide all supported binaries for every pushed commit, those can be found at the top of the release page. Continuous build artifacts are not fully tested and in most cases they are work in progress so use them with caution.
In order to use AppImages, make them executable and start using it, no installation required.
$ chmod a+x ksnip*.AppImage
More information about setting to executable can be found here.
Just install them via rpm and start using.
$ rpm -Uvh ksnip*.rpm
Just install them via dpkg and start using.
$ sudo dpkg -i ksnip*.deb
The usual installation for snaps, will install latest version:
$ sudo snap install ksnip
The continuous build version is also available as edge, in order to install it you need to provide the edge flag:
$ sudo snap install ksnip --edge
Snap startup time can be speed up and console output cleaned up from following error
Could not create AF_NETLINK socket (Permission denied) by running following commands:
$ snap connect ksnip:network-observe
$ snap connect ksnip:network-manager-observe
If you need to save screenshots to a removable media, following additional connection is required:
$ snap connect ksnip:removable-media
This needs to be done only once and connects some snap plugs which are currently not auto-connected.
The exe file with all required dependencies comes in a zipped package, which just need to be unzipped with your favorite zip tool. Ksnip can then be started by just double clicking ksnip.exe.
The app file comes in a dmg package which needs to be opened and the ksnip.app file needs to be dragged and dropped into the Application folder. After that the application can be started by double clicking ksnip.app
Building from source
- Get latest release from GitHub by cloning the repo:
$ git clone https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip
- Change to repo directory:
$ cd ksnip
- Make new build directory and enter it:
$ mkdir build && cd build
- Create the makefile and build the project:
$ cmake .. && make
- Now install the application, eventually you need to run it with sudo:
$ sudo make install
- Run the application:
We are always looking for help with translations, contributors are welcome!
For translations we use Weblate!
For translations of Annotator related texts, please refer to kImageAnnotator
- Snipping Area with transparent background doesn't work when Compositor is disabled, freeze background is used in that case.
- Snipping Area with transparent background doesn't work, freeze background is always used. Issue #151
- Second activation of snipping area doesn't get focus, you need to switch to the right side in order to see the snipping area. Issue #152
- Mouse Cursor is always captured. Issue #153
Please report any bugs or feature requests related to the annotation editor on the kImageAnnotator github page under the issue section. All other bugs or feature requests please report on the ksnip Github page under the issue section.
Any contribution, be it Code, Translation or other is always welcome. We are currently looking for someone to:
- Produce a Flatpak #127.
- Write code and fix bugs for macOS.
- Write wiki entries and documentation for ksnip.
- Package ksnip for different OS and distros.
Donate a Beer?
You would like to donate a Beer? Sure, you can do that here, donations are always welcome :)