Workloads running on Kubernetes do not make assumptions about the underlying infrastructure. However, it is still non-trivial to move them across different clusters. It is also non trivial to move them to another namespace within the same cluster scope such as to a different zone. KubeMove provides a set of tools and API to coordinate the orchestration and workflow of moving an application in production across cluster or namespace boundaries.
The initial KEP (KubeMove Enhancement Proposal) is at KEP-1
Join the discussion through the issue here
- Install kubemove using helm -
helm install kubemove.io/kubemove
- Annotate the application to be moved with
MoveEngineAPI with the required configuration to start the data movement or sync
- Wait for the movement or datasync to complete and switch the application on the target cluster using
Example move commands:
kubectl km move init <app> <kubemove-template.yaml>
kubectl km status <movepair-cr>
kubectl km move switch <movepair>
- Hybrid and multi-cloud deployments - Move applications on-prem to cloud or vice-versa or from cloud-cloud
- Onramp to Kubernetes - KubeMove can help migrate the data from legacy volumes onto Kubernetes
- Kubernetes and/or application upgrades - Applications may need to be moved back and forth while following blue green strategy
KubeMove is developed under Apache 2.0 license.
We welcome participation from the community in defining more use cases, developing API spec and implementation. Please write new issues as you like.