2021 Annual Report: SIG Apps
What work did the SIG do this year that should be highlighted?
- Major improvements in the Job API (see below job-related KEPs).
- Stability and availability improvements across several controllers (see below KEPs for DaemonSets and StatefulSets).
- Leadership changes: Maciej joins leadership, Matt and Adnan moving to emeritus.
What initiatives are you working on that aren't being tracked in KEPs?
- Conformance testing promotions.
KEP work in 2021 (1.21, 1.22, 1.23):
- 19 - CronJob to Stable - 1.21
- 85 - PodDisruptionBudget to GA - 1.22
- 592 - TTL After Finished - 1.23
- 2185 - Random Pod Selection on ReplicaSet Downscale - 1.22
- 1591 - Allow DaemonSets to surge during update like Deployments - 1.22
- 2214 - Indexed Job - 1.22
- 2232 - Suspend Job - 1.22
- 2255 - ReplicaSet Pod Deletion Cost - 1.22
- 2307 - Job tracking without lingering Pods - 1.23
- 2599 - minReadySeconds for StatefulSets - 1.23
- 2926 - Mutable Node Scheduling Directives for Jobs - 1.23
- 2185 - Random Pod Selection on ReplicaSet Downscale - 1.21
- 1591 - Allow DaemonSets to surge during update like Deployments - 1.21
- 2214 - Indexed Job - 1.21
- 2232 - Suspend Job - 1.21
- 2255 - ReplicaSet Pod Deletion Cost - 1.21
- 2307 - Job tracking without lingering Pods - 1.22
- 2599 - minReadySeconds for StatefulSets - 1.22
- 1847 - Auto delete PVCs created by StatefulSet - 1.23
- 2879 - Track ready Pods in Job status - 1.23
What areas and/or subprojects does your group need the most help with? Any areas with 2 or fewer OWNERs? (link to more details)
- Growing additional reviewers and approvers, also see no. 4 below.
What metrics/community health stats does your group care about and/or measure?
- Open untriaged issues and PRs
Does your CONTRIBUTING.md help new contributors engage with your group specifically by pointing to activities or programs that provide useful context or allow easy participation?
- It's up-to-date.
If your group has special training, requirements for reviewers/approvers, or processes beyond the general contributor guide, does your CONTRIBUTING.md document those to help existing contributors grow throughout the contributor ladder?
- We’re working with SIG-CLI on starting a monthly review club, details to be announced soon.
Does the group have contributors from multiple companies/affiliations?
- 11 companies contributed code in 2021.
Are there ways end users/companies can contribute that they currently are not? If one of those ways is more full time support, what would they work on and why?
- Increase the test coverage for all controllers.
- Primary slack channel member count: 2900
- Primary mailing list member count: 674
- Primary meeting attendee count (estimated, if needed): 10
- Primary meeting participant count (estimated, if needed): 6
- Unique reviewers for SIG-owned packages: 23
- Unique approvers for SIG-owned packages: 31
Include any other ways you measure group membership
New in 2021:
Retired in 2021:
New in 2021:
Retired in 2021:
Operational tasks in sig-governance.md:
- README.md reviewed for accuracy and updated if needed
- CONTRIBUTING.md reviewed for accuracy and updated if needed (or created if missing and your contributor steps and experience are different or more in-depth than the documentation listed in the general contributor guide and devel folder.)
- Subprojects list and linked OWNERS files in sigs.yaml reviewed for accuracy and updated if needed
- SIG leaders (chairs, tech leads, and subproject owners) in sigs.yaml are accurate and active, and updated if needed
- Meeting notes and recordings for 2021 are linked from README.md and updated/uploaded if needed
- Did you have community-wide updates in 2021 (e.g. community meetings, kubecon, or kubernetes-dev@ emails)? Links to email, slides, or recordings: - KubeCon NA 2021 Sig Apps updates