2021 Annual Report: SIG Instrumentation
What work did the SIG do this year that should be highlighted?
- Formed WG Structured Logging. Successfully migrated multiple components to structured logs and graduated feature to beta.
- Added tracing support to the Kubernetes API server and began work on Kubelet tracing.
- Graduated the metrics stability framework.
What initiatives are you working on that aren't being tracked in KEPs?
- Bi-weekly triage meeting
- Subprojects (see below)
KEP work in 2021 (1.x, 1.y, 1.z):
- 2831 - Kubelet OpenTelemetry Tracing - alpha in 1.24
What areas and/or subprojects does your group need the most help with? Any areas with 2 or fewer OWNERs? (link to more details)
- kubernetes-sigs/prometheus-adapter has 1 active approver
What metrics/community health stats does your group care about and/or measure?
Does your CONTRIBUTING.md help new contributors engage with your group specifically by pointing to activities or programs that provide useful context or allow easy participation?
- We don't have our own CONTRIBUTING.md as the overall one is suitable for our SIG. However, we have filed an issue to create one to better document how to get involved with our subprojects.
If your group has special training, requirements for reviewers/approvers, or processes beyond the general contributor guide, does your CONTRIBUTING.md document those to help existing contributors grow throughout the contributor ladder?
- N/A, we don't have special training or requirements
Does the group have contributors from multiple companies/affiliations?
- Yes: Google, Red Hat, Sony, VMware, Intel, independent contributors, and more
Are there ways end users/companies can contribute that they currently are not? If one of those ways is more full time support, what would they work on and why?
SIG leads performed a staffing and gap analysis for the SIG's projects. We definitely can use more help, and need more part-time/full-time contributors.
- KTLO: 4 leads at 5%, 2 maintainers at 10% for core, 9-10 maintainers at 5% for 5 subprojects (can have overlap between roles, but need a minimum of 3-4 part-time contributors at 25%)
- Feature work: needs significant ongoing additional investment, minimum of 2-3 FT devs or features will continue to slip
- KTLO: Requires two experienced part-time maintainers at 10% (e.g. 2x4h = 8h/wk) in addition to the SIG leadership (chairs/TLs @ minimum of 2h/wk)
- Chairs/TLs currently perform the bulk of this work but even amongst the four of them, do not have 8h total weekly allocated
- Feature work: requires significantly more investment from development and review time.
- E.g. Structured logging initiative requires a minimum of 2 FT staff for the duration of feature development from beta -> GA
- Additional metric stability classes and graduation: 1PT maintainer at 25% for the duration of feature development
- SIG currently owns a number of KEPs stuck in alpha/beta due to lack of dev resources:
- Subprojects are currently mature/stable and mainly have KTLO needs
- kube-state-metrics: 2-3 experienced maintainers at 5%, currently staffed
- Metrics-server: 2 experienced maintainers at 5%, currently staffed
- Custom-metrics-apiserver: 1 experienced maintainer at 5%, currently staffed
- Klog: 2 experienced maintainers at 5%, has no current staffing
- Prometheus-adapter: 2 experienced maintainers at 5%, has no current staffing
- Primary slack channel member count: 1,740
- Primary mailing list member count: 324
- Primary meeting attendee count (estimated, if needed): 8-12
- Primary meeting participant count (estimated, if needed): 4-6
- Unique reviewers for SIG-owned packages: 24
- Unique approvers for SIG-owned packages: 22
Include any other ways you measure group membership
- We track active members in the SIG primarily based on devstats and meeting participation, and maintain an up-to-date roster of members in kubernetes/org. These teams also serve as aliases for GitHub pings.
New in 2021:
Retired in 2021:
New in 2021:
Operational tasks in sig-governance.md:
- README.md reviewed for accuracy and updated if needed
- CONTRIBUTING.md reviewed for accuracy and updated if needed (or created if missing and your contributor steps and experience are different or more in-depth than the documentation listed in the general contributor guide and devel folder.)
- Subprojects list and linked OWNERS files in sigs.yaml reviewed for accuracy and updated if needed
- SIG leaders (chairs, tech leads, and subproject owners) in sigs.yaml are accurate and active, and updated if needed
- Meeting notes and recordings for 2021 are linked from README.md and updated/uploaded if needed
- Did you have community-wide updates in 2021 (e.g. community meetings, kubecon, or kubernetes-dev@ emails)? Links to email, slides, or recordings: - KubeCon EU 2021 SIG Update - KubeCon NA 2021 SIG Update - Structured logging targeting 1.21 beta (kubernetes-dev@) - WG Creation Request: WG Structured Logging (kubernetes-dev@) - Deprecation: Dynamic log sanitization removal in 1.24 (kubernetes-dev@)