Generate some (geojson) maps of your travels around the world, if you've been some cool places!
Currently supports separately parsing:
- Road Trips (via normal Google Directions API)
- Rail Trips (via rail-only Google Directions API)
- Flights (via geocoding both origin and destination and drawing a great-circle line between locations, which is accurate for most but not all flights)
Cool part: It even works in little countries like Nepal somehow. So I used this to map my India and Nepal travels too!
I tried to simplify but the tool still remains pretty technical to use.
- Grab a Google API key. You won't make so many requests that it'll cost you anything
- Activate Google Directions and Geocoding APIs
- Create a
.envfile with the line
- Adjust the files in
input/to match your travels. You can use coordinate pairs if the city/state city/country nomenclature is giving confusing results
- Pay close attention to my use of the
waypointsarray - it allows you to plot your route more accurately without dealing with coordinates. Google allows only 23 of these so... don't go too crazy.
- Adjust the main loop in the bottom of the
index.jsto only run on the input files you created
- Your geojson files will be in the