Cross-platform Java application for analysing harmony progression of WAV or MIDI input.
Project website: harmony-analyser.org
- Running JRE 8 or higher on your machine
- Download and install libsndfile 1.0.27 or higher (Linux: Usually supported by package manager)
- Download and install Vamp Plugins SDK 2.6 or higher (Linux: Supported by package manager, or
./configure && make sdk && make install)
- Download and install jVamp 1.3 or higher (Linux: compile and place
java -XshowSettings:propertiesif you are unsure of the location)
- Download and install Chordino and NNLS Chroma Vamp plugins 1.1 or higher, and QM Vamp plugins set 1.7.1 or higher, for getting the most out of the analysis (Linux: compile and place
To run the application:
- Download and open
harmony-analyser-<version>-jar-with-dependencies.jar(where version is the currently available version) located in
targetfolder, using your Java Virtual Machine (or invoke
java -jar target/harmony_analyser-<version>-jar-with-dependencies.jarin command-line)
- For Command-line interface, move the file
targetfolder into the folder with WAV files for analysis. Then invoke
java -jar harmony-analyser-script-jar-with-dependencies -p <plugin name> -s .wav, or
You are welcome to fork, push your changes to your fork, and pull request at anytime! We will also be happy to add you as collaborator upon request. In addition to installation pre-requisites, a functional JDK needs to be installed in order to compile the source.
Project uses Maven as the project management tool. Dependencies available in the public Maven repositories are pulled in automatically.
Project uses one local dependency in form of JAR located in
- jVamp: Since the Vamp plugins are typically written in C++, we are using jVamp wrappers to load them in Java (jVamp uses JNI to work with native C++ code)
To install the dependency properly, issue from the project root:
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.vamp_plugins -DartifactId=jvamp -Dversion=1.3 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=./lib/jvamp.jar
For more details and sample analysis please refer to the documentation located in
For any questions and comments please contact the author on GitHub or [mail](mailto: email@example.com).
- You may get:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/harmony_analyser/application/HarmonyAnalyser : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0. That means you have a wrong version of JRE set up as your default JRE. The same error occurs when you don't have Java 8 on your system. Make sure you have Java 8 installed and your JRE is set up properly. You can check the default Java version used on your UNIX system with:
sudo update-alternatives --config java.
- You may get
jni.h: no such file or directorywhile failing to compile jVamp on UNIX. If so, you have to manually add the path to jni.h in the Makefile of jVamp. It should be something on line 18 looking like:
INCLUDES := -I$(JAVA_HOME)/include -I$(JAVA_HOME)/include/linuxand you will have to update it to something like:
INCLUDES := -I$(JAVA_HOME)/include -I$(JAVA_HOME)/include/linux -I/path/to/jni.h