Linux Wifi Hotspot
- Share wifi via QR code
- UI improvements
- Show the connected devices
- Able to customize gateway address from GUI
- Share your wifi like in Windows - Use wifi and enable hotspot at the same time.
- Share a wifi access point from any network interface
- Share wifi via QR code
- MAC filter
- View connected devices
- Includes Both command line and gui.
- Support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (Need to be compatible with your wifi adapter). Ex: You have connected to the 5GHz network and share a connection with 2.4GHz.
- Customise wifi Channel, Change MAC address, etc.
- Hide SSID
- customize gateway IP address
- Enable IEEE 80211n, IEEE 80211ac modes
Command line help and documentation
Read Command line help and documentation here.
If you only need the command-line without GUI run
make install-cli-only as root user.
Sometimes there are troubles with 5Ghz bands due to some vendor restrictions. If you cannot start hotspot while you are connected to 5Ghz band, Unselect Auto and select 2.4Ghz in frequency selection.
If any problems with RealTeK Wifi Adapters see this
Unable to allocate IP: firewalld issue: Please check for potential fixes: #209 #166
dnsmasq: cannot read /tmp/create_ap.wlo1.conf.*/dnsmasq.conf: Permission denied, on Manjaro or ArchLinux ; check #183
Download the debian package from latest release
# For ubuntu only sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lakinduakash/lwh sudo apt install linux-wifi-hotspot
Arch based distributions
Linux Wifi Hotspot is available as an AUR package. You can install it manually or with your favourite AUR helper.
For example, if you use
yay you can do:
yay -S linux-wifi-hotspot
- util-linux (for getopt)
- procps or procps-ng
- iwconfig (you only need this if 'iw' can not recognize your adapter)
- haveged (optional)
Make sure you have those dependencies by typing them in terminal. If any of dependencies fail install it using your distro's package manager
For 'NATed' or 'None' Internet sharing method
To build from source
- gcc and g++
- libqrencode-dev (for qr code generation)
- libpng-dev (for qr code generation)
On Ubuntu or debian install dependencies by,
sudo apt install -y libgtk-3-dev build-essential gcc g++ pkg-config make hostapd libqrencode-dev libpng-dev
On Fedora/CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise Linux/Rocky Linux/Oracle Linux
sudo dnf install -y gtk3-devel gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel pkg-config make hostapd qrencode-devel libpng-devel
git clone https://github.com/lakinduakash/linux-wifi-hotspot cd linux-wifi-hotspot #build binaries make #install sudo make install
sudo make uninstall
You can launch the GUI by searching for "Wifi Hotspot" in the Application Menu or using the terminal with:
Run on Startup
wihotspot GUI uses
create_ap to create and manage access points. This service and core logic was originally created by
@oblique, and are now maintained in this
Start the hotspot service on startup (using your saved configuration) with:
systemctl enable create_ap
If you found a bug or you have an idea about improving this make an issue. Even a small contribution make open source world more beautiful. Please read CONTRIBUTING.md for more info.
Stargazers over time
Copyright (c) 2013, oblique
Copyright (c) 2021, lakinduakash