The Gilded Rose Kata
This repository includes the initial setup for this Kata, including the specs. It uses the Kahlan library, which you might not be familiar with. But, don't worry, there's nothing really to learn. Review the specs, and you'll understand the basic syntax in less than a minute.
Your job is to:
- Refactor the monstrous code in the
- Add a new item type, "Conjured". The specs for this item are commented out in the
When finished (or for help), you may review the solution by switching to the "solution" branch of this repo.
Hi and welcome to team Gilded Rose. As you know, we are a small inn with a prime location in a prominent city ran by a friendly innkeeper named Allison. We also buy and sell only the finest goods. Unfortunately, our goods are constantly degrading in quality as they approach their sell by date. We have a system in place that updates our inventory for us. It was developed by a no-nonsense type named Leeroy, who has moved on to new adventures.
Your task is to add the new feature to our system so that we can begin selling a new category of items.
First an introduction to our system:
- All items have a SellIn value which denotes the number of days we have to sell the item
- All items have a Quality value which denotes how valuable the item is
- At the end of each day our system lowers both values for every item
Pretty simple, right? Well this is where it gets interesting:
- Once the sell by date has passed, Quality degrades twice as fast
- The Quality of an item is never negative
- "Aged Brie" actually increases in Quality the older it gets
- The Quality of an item is never more than 50
- "Sulfuras", being a legendary item, never has to be sold or decreases in Quality
- "Backstage passes", like aged brie, increases in Quality as it's SellIn value approaches; Quality increases by 2 when there are 10 days or less and by 3 when there are 5 days or less but Quality drops to 0 after the concert
We have recently signed a supplier of conjured items. This requires an update to our system:
"Conjured" items degrade in Quality twice as fast as normal items
Just for clarification, an item can never have its Quality increase above 50, however "Sulfuras" is a legendary item and as such its Quality is 80 and it never alters.