A python bot that makes reading answers from reddit IAMAs easier by compiling them into an easy-to-read list and posting it into the original IAMA.
Don't run your own instance of this bot, please. /r/iama ain't big enough for two of these bots.
python go.py basically does this:
- Gets the hottest 25 IAMAs from r/iama.
- Reduces the list down to those that will likely have at least a minimum number of comments (currently set to 200).
- For each IAMA in the list:
- compiles a list of questions and answers
- posts the list in the IAMA as a chain of comments
The script tries to do this efficiently with as few requests possible. To do so, it requires a MongoDB instance to store its previous comments. See the source for more details.
IAMA_MIN_COMMENTS => 200 IAMA_WAIT_TIME => 60 MONGOLAB_URI => mongodb://... REDDIT_PASSWORD => <password> REDDIT_USERNAME => narwal_bot SCHEDULER_URL => http://... TZ => US/Eastern USER_AGENT => <user_agent>
The Scheduler is set to run
python go.py every hour. Technically, it runs
go process, which is defined in the
python go.py. This
is necessary because running the script is a