Lauren Richie & Rosa Choi
COMEBACK is a data visualization and storytelling narrative that describes the history of the gray wolf in the contiguous US, from persecution to restoration. It features a map visualizing wolf populations over time, interactive infographics and a story of wolf OR-7, a wolf that traveled over 1,000 miles across Oregon to become the first wolf documented in California since 1924.
Intended as a tool to educate and build awareness about one of the country's most iconic endangered species, COMEBACK provides a visually appealing, interactive story and data visualization that replaces the need to dig through antiquated websites.
We are currently undertaking a major rebuild of the code, implementing test-driven development with Jasmine and RSpec.
- Data parsing with Ruby
- Google Maps API
To build the project, we:
- Collected data on wolf populations from pdfs and government websites
- Parsed the data from spreadsheets & converted into CSV files convenient for D3 mapping
- Wrote a script to collect location coordinates of wolf management regions and wolf OR-7's journey
- Mapped population data over time for each management region with D3 & TopoJSON
- Designed & created an animated, SVG-based infographic illustrating the interactions between wolves and ecosystems
- Animated OR-7's journey with Google Maps API
- Added interactive information boxes to tell the story of wolf eradication and recovery