PowerShell module to interact with Active Directory using ADSI and the System.DirectoryServices namespace (.NET Framework)
The initial motivation for this module was to improve my knowledge on how to interact with Active Directory without the Microsoft Active Directory module or the Quest Active Directory Snapin. The other elements that I wanted to work on were being able to use alternative Credentials and to specify a different Domain.
Obviously I'm still learning and there is ton of space for improvements... Would love contributors, suggestions, feedback or any other help.
Table of contents
- Download from PowerShell Gallery
- Download from GitHub repository
- Use Cases
- More Information
Contributions are welcome via pull requests and issues. Please see our contributing guide for more details
Download from PowerShell Gallery
Only from PowerShell version 5
Install-Module -name ADSIPS
Download from GitHub repository
- Download the repository
- Unblock the zip file
- Extract the folder to a module path (e.g. $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules)
- Learning Active Directory: We can't see the code behind the Microsoft ActiveDirectory Module and Quest ActiveDirectory Snapin. This module is a great way to explore and learn on how Active Directory is working,
- Delegation: Active Directory queries need to be performed by a tool (GUI for example) and you don't want it to load AD module. Additionally you don't know who will use the tool and if they have/can/know how to install the module,
- Performance: ADSI is way faster,
- Restricted environment: Sometime ActiveDirectory Module is not available/ or can't install it on a machine.
- MSDN is a great resource if you want to find more information on the NET classes to use. See System.DirectoryServices