Session 4 Readings
- On Being the Right Size, J. B. S. Haldane
- On Actor-Network Theory, Bruno Latour
- Network Externality: An Uncommon Tragedy, by Liebowitz and Margolis. On feedback, network effects.
- Chapter 14 in The Blackwell Guide to the Philosophy of Computing and Information. A zoomed-out history of cybernetics and its relationships with other fields. Provided useful context for me toward a more concrete definition of cybernetics, and an understanding of how cybernetic approaches have changed over time in step with the types of problems they're applied to.
- Management in Cybernetic Terms by Stafford Beer (chapter 9 in this link). Gets into second-order cybernetics, variety/complexity, and the management/steering of systems.
- More from Beer: Designing Freedom. Lecture series with fun illustrations
👶. Provides some color on Cybersyn and Beer's thoughts around how to structure institutions. Not sure if this is a bit too much to read?