Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to the KA Lite Wiki!
KA Lite is an open-source Python/Django project created and maintained by the nonprofit Learning Equality that provides offline access to Khan Academy materials, for the 4.5 billion people around the world without Internet.
This wiki is the main source of documentation for developers contributing to the KA Lite project. It has been organized like an FAQ, with outbound links to resources beneath commonly asked questions.
How do I get started contributing?
There are two primary ways to contribute to KA Lite!
- Use KA Lite and give us feedback on our user documentation. If you'd like to change something in the documentation or seek clarification, you can email us directly, open an issue on github to discuss, or open a pull request to propose changes directly.
- If you're a developer, you can contribute code. See our Getting started page for instructions on setting up your dev environment and running the code.
What is KA Lite anyway?
- Check out the KA Lite website to learn more about KA Lite!
- Read the Learning Equality homepage page to understand why we started and what the ultimate vision is.
At a high-level, how does the app work?
- Check out the Project structure page for an overview of how the code works.
Where can I read more in-depth docs?
It's a work in progress, but we've created some specific docs on certain topics, and they're listed below:
- [Inter-app dependencies](Inter-app dependencies)
- Common variables and values
- [Creating Issues](Report Bugs by Creating Issues)
- Unit tests Part 1
- Unit tests Part 2
- Benchmarking the Raspberry Pi
- Internationalization: Coding
- Securesync: How Cross Computer Syncing Works
- Student data records
- The setup codepath
- The topic tree
How do I contact you people for help and support?
- To get (and stay) in touch with the team, check out our page on [communication & coordination](Communication and Coordination).
- [Coding tutorial resources](General Coding Resources)
- [Tips and Tricks](Tips and tricks)
- [Code Editor Tips](Code Editor Tips)