Tengine is a web server originated by Taobao, the largest e-commerce website in Asia. It is based on the popular Nginx HTTP server and has many advanced features. Tengine has been proven very stable and efficient on the top 100 websites, including taobao.com and tmall.com.
- All features of nginx-1.2.3 are inherited, i.e. it is 100% compatible with nginx.
- Dynamic module loading support. You don't need to recompile Tengine when adding new modules to it.
- Input body filter support. It's quite handy to write Web Application Firewalls by using this mechanism.
- Dynamic scripting language (Lua) support, which is very efficient and easy to extend core functionalities.
- Logging enhancement. Syslog (local and remote), pipe logging and log sampling are supported.
- A mechanism to support standalone processes.
- Protecting server in case system load or memory use goes too high.
- Proactive health checks of upstream servers can be performed.
- The number of worker processes and CPU affinities can be set automatically.
- The limit_req module is enhanced with white list support and more conditions are allowed in a single location.
- Diagnostic information to tell the server where the error happened.
- More user friendly command lines. e.g. showing all compiled-in modules and supported directives.
- Expiration times can be specified for certain MIME types.
- Error pages can be reset to 'default'.