This a simple "Hello World" application for the low cost WiFi SoC ESP8266.
The application and the instructions have been tested on Olimex MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV.
How to build project and upload:
- Install ESP8266 toolchain
- Build the project
- Connect the board to a personal computer
- Upload the project to the board
- Run "Hello World"
Install ESP8266 toolchain
Please follow these instructions to install and set up ESP8266 toolchain: https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki/wiki
Build the project
Clone this repository into Espressif install directory
cd /opt/Espressif git clone https://github.com/leon-anavi/esp-hello-world.git cd esp-hello-world make
Connect the board to a personal computer in a flash mode
You will need 3.3V cable like USB-SERIAL-CABLE-F.
Connect cable as follows:
- blue --> uext pin-2
- green --> uext pin-3
- red --> ext pin-4
Connect the cable to the USB port of the personal computer. You should see the new device in /dev/tty*, for example /dev/ttyUSB0 if you see other update makefile properly.
To go into bootloader (aka flash) mode, simply connect PIN 21 (GPIO0) to GND.
Upload the project
If you have build the project without errors you can upload the code to ESP8266 with the following command:
sudo make ESPPORT=/dev/ttyUSB0 flash
Now everything is complete and you are ready to test the application.
Run the project
- Disconnect the power of the board
- Remove the wire from PIN 21 (GPIO0) to exit flash mode
- Launch a terminal on the personal computer to read data from the UART console:
sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
- Power again the board and you will see "Hello World" in the terminal of the personal computer