Subtivals, a program to project Advanced SubStation Alpha (ASS, .ass) and Subrip (.srt) subtitles.
Hard copies for film festivals do not always carry subtitles, especially for the hard-of-hearing.
Subtivals goals are the projection and the control of subtitles superimposed on a cinema screen; Projecting subtitles on top of another screen is called soft-titling, surtitling, supertitling or even sometimes electronic subtitles, virtual subtitles.
Subtivals is fully automatic, but its semi-manual mode also allows to project subtitles at theaters (or opera, ballets, concerts and other cultural events...).
Subtivals was used during the following film festivals :
- Festival Cine sordo in Quito, Ecuador ( 2012 )
- Festival de Cinéma d'Amérique Latine de Biarritz ( 2012, 2011 )
- Festival de cinéma de Douarnenez ( 2012, 2011 )
- Cinélatino de Toulouse ( 2012, 2011 )
- Résistances à Foix ( 2012 )
- Festival du film de Beauvais ( 2012 )
- Short films festivals Vila do Conde ( 2012 )
- Festival Zoom Arrière, 6e édition ( 2012 )
- Festival International du film d'Amiens ( 2011 )
- Festival Intergalactique de Brest ( 2011 )
And is being used by professionals worldwide :
- ST2L ( France )
- Fila13 ( Barcelona, Spain )
- Racti ( Lebanon )
- Lycée Français Sainte Pulchérie ( Istambul, Turkey )
Contact-us to add yours!
- Control play/pause/delay/speed
- Switch between several modes : timecode based, semi-automatic or fully manual
- Ass styles (italic, positions, colors)
- Override styles (color, font size, margins, alignments)
- Text outline (color and width)
- Easily adjust position and size of screen window with the mouse
- Configure presets for screen positions and overriden styles
- Support of screen rotation
- Calibration mode (for both SRT and ASS)
- Support for subtitles without timecodes (fixes duration automatically)
- Support for dual head (Xinerama) setup
- Hide desktop (fullscreen) on screen monitor
- Feedback on number of characters per second
- Reload subtitles file if modified while playing
- Runs on GNU/Linux, Windows, Mac OSX
- Available in English, French, Spanish and Catalan
Subtivals is written in C++/Qt and has no other external dependencies.
Video mixer (Chroma-key) support
If you have a video mixer, then a separate projector is not necessary for inlaying subtitles !
Subtivals installer is available on Ubuntu, and can be installed by adding the following PPA to your Software Sources:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mathieu.leplatre/subtivals sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install subtivals
For Windows and Mac OS installers, you can try out the demo version or contact us by email !
- Arnaud Rolly (Gedial)
- Mathieu Leplatre (@leplatrem)
- Lilian Lefranc (st2l)
- Emmanuel Digiaro (@mallox)