wysihtml5 is an open source rich text editor based on HTML5 technology and the progressive-enhancement approach.
It uses a sophisticated security concept and aims to generate fully valid HTML5 markup by preventing unmaintainable tag soups and inline styles.
The code is completely library agnostic: No jQuery, Prototype or similar is required.
This project was initiated and is supported by the XING AG. Thanks!
- Auto linking of urls as-you-type
- Generates valid and semantic HTML5 markup (no
- Uses class-names instead of inline styles
- Unifies line-break handling across browsers (hitting enter will create
- Auto-parses content inserted via copy & paste (from Word, Powerpoint, PDF, other web pages, …)
- Converts invalid or unknown html tags into valid/similar tags
- Source code view for users with HTML skills
- Uses sandboxed iframes in order to prevent identity theft through XSS
- Editor inherits styles and attributes (placeholder, autofocus, …) from original textarea (you only have to style one element)
- Speech-input for Chrome
The rich text editing interface is supported in IE8+, FF 3.5+, Safari 4+, Safari on iOS 5+, Opera 11+ and Chrome.
Graceful Degradation: Users with other browsers will see the textarea and are still able to write plain HTML by themselves.
- “Simple Editor with italic and bold buttons:”http://xing.github.com/wysihtml5/examples/simple.html
- Editor with advanced functionality
Companies using wysihtml5
- Basecamp – Leading web-based project management and collaboration tool
- XING – Business Social Network with more than 12 million members
- and many more …
Before starting wysihtml5 we spent a lot of time investigating the different browsers and their behaviors.
Check this repository:
A compatibility table for rich text query commands can be found here:
A pure native rich text editor with HTML validator and live source preview is here: