cocos2d for iPhone
cocos2d for iPhone is a framework for building 2D games, demos, and other graphical/interactive applications for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad. It is based on the cocos2d design but instead of using python it, uses objective-c.
- Scene management (workflow)
- Transitions between scenes
- Sprites and Sprite Sheets
- Effects: Lens, Ripple, Waves, Liquid, etc.
- Actions (behaviours):
- Trasformation Actions: Move, Rotate, Scale, Fade, Tint, etc.
- Composable actions: Sequence, Spawn, Repeat, Reverse
- Ease Actions: Exp, Sin, Cubic, Elastic, etc.
- Misc actions: CallFunc, OrbitCamera
- Basic menus and buttons
- Integrated with physics engines: Box2d and Chipmunk
- Particle system
- Fast font rendering using Fixed and Variable width fonts
- Support for .ttf fonts
- Texture Atlas support
- Tile Map support: Orthogonal, Isometric and Hexagonal
- Parallax scrolling
- Motion Streak
- High Score server (cocosLive library)
- Portrait and Landscape mode
- Sound Engine support (CocosDenshion library)
- Integrated Pause/Resume
- Integrated Slow motion/Fast forward
- Fast textures: PVRTC 2-bit & 4-bit textures, RGBA 16-bit (and 32-bit) textures
- Language: objective-c
- Open Source: Compatible with open and closed source projects
- OpenGL ES 1.1 based
This library does not work with the toolchain, but it should be easy to port it to it.
Mac OS X 10.5.3, Xcode 3.1, iPhone OS 2.0, Beta 8 release or later
Mac OS X 10.5.3, iPhone OS 2.0, Beta 8 release or later
Files and Folders
core files and folders of cocos2d
high score client library
sound engine library
tests, demo and template examples
3rd party libraries used by cocos2d or any other project.
- Chipmunk/: physics library
- Box2d/: physics library
- TouchJSON/: JSON parser
- Tremor/: OGG audio decoder
How to run the tests
Xcode -> View -> Customize toolbar
Then, drag "Active Target" and "Active Executable" to your top project tool bar. Select the test you want to view in both drop downs and hit Build and Go.
How to start a new game
Run the 'install-templates.sh' script as root:
$ cd cocos2d-iphone
$ sudo ./install-templates.sh
-u to install the templates in your user directory:
$ cd cocos2d-iphone
$ ./install-templates.sh -u
And then open XCode -> New Project -> User Templates -> cocos2d