Thumbnails for RetroArch, split into individual repositories to ease maintenance.
Check out the repository, with all submodules, into RetroArch's thumbnails directory:
cd ~/.config/retroarch git clone --recursive --depth=1 http://github.com/libretro-thumbnails/libretro-thumbnails.git thumbnails
To bring in the latest thumbnails across all systems, use:
git pull --recurse-submodules git submodule update --remote --recursive
Or by using the script which will maintain shallow clones (depth=1) and checkout master:
- Thumbnails are installed into RetroArch config's
- There are three types of thumbnails:
Named_Snapsare in game snapshots
Named_Titlesare title screen snapshots
Named_Boxartsare the boxes or covers for games
- Thumbnails follow the following naming convention:
thumbnails/Playlist Name/Named Type/Game Name.png
- The following characters in playlist titles must be replaced with _ in the corresponding thumbnail filename:
- Images must be
- Image resolution guidelines:
- Images with native width larger than 512px should be scaled down to 512px wide
- Images with native width of 512px or less should be added as-is
- Substitute promotional flyers are acceptable when no boxart is available for a game
- Use libretro-thumbnails-check to check for missing thumbnails
To check for files with invalid file names, use the following command....
find . -name '*[&\*:`<>?\\|"*]*'
This can be put in a
.travis.yml file to enable automated testing.
language: bash script: - find Named* -name '*[&\*:`<>?\\|"*]*' | grep "." && echo "The above are invalid filenames" && return 1 || echo "No invalid files found" notifications: email: false
The libretro-thumbnail server provides two functions...
The .index files allow RetroArch to list the files available in the given directory. To build the .index files, run the following command...
Thumbnail packs can be generated to create a zip of all thumbnails across each system. To build the thumbnail packs, run the following command...
PACKSDIR=../packs make packs
PACKSDIR to change which you would like the thumbnail packs to be built.