NOTICE!!! (And Now for Something Completely Different)
If you are using Rails, you should now be using html5-rails instead of this gem. It has all you need to get Html5Boilerplate up and running with the Rails 3 asset pipeline, plus a bunch of other nice new conventions.
For the rest of you who still want to use this gem for standalone projects or for older verisons of Rails, here's what you need to know:
- The compass CSS library has been moved out of this gem and into the compass-h5bp gem. This allows both gems to benifit from updates to the compass library.
- The newest version of compass-h5bp uses normalize.css instead of reset, just like current Html5Boilerplate. So upgrading might be a pain.
So in short, I have shifted my efforts to html5-rails, and I now view this gem as the first standalone implementation of compass-h5bp. To this end I will continue to merge pull requests for those who want to continue using it.
Of course, I encourage anyone to create other implementations of compass-h5bp for [insert your framework here].
HTML5 Boilerplate is a Compass extension based on HTML5 Boilerplate by Paul Irish. You can use it to kick-start fully compliant HTML5 applications. Setup your Rails applications with with fully integrated Haml and Sass/Scss templates that implement Boilerplate's functionality, or generate stand-alone Html5 Compass projects.
Browse html5boilerplate.com for the full workup.
(In addition to Html5 Boilerplate itself)
- Html5 Boilerplate stylesheets implemented as a modularized Compass library
- Lets you pick and choose only the Boilerplate mixins and includes you want
- Generates sass/scss partials to keep your stylesheets organized
- Generates modularized haml layouts for Rails apps (header, footer, flashes, etc.)
- Fully commented source, but the haml/sass output remains comment free
- Not tested on animals
(This is for stand-alone. Rails install instructions live on only in the git history)
--css-dir flags are to keep consistent with the original project layout.
This will create a
my_project directory containing the following files:
index.html index.html.haml 404.html crossdomain.xml robots.txt humans.txt apple-touch-icon.png apple-touch-icon-57x57-precomposed.png apple-touch-icon-72x72-precomposed.png apple-touch-icon-114x114-precomposed.png apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png favicon.ico src/style.scss src/partials/_base.scss src/partials/_overrides.scss src/partials/_page.scss src/partials/_fonts.scss src/partials/_media.scss js/jquery-1.6.2.min.js js/modernizr-2.0.6.min.js js/plugins.js js/script.js .htaccess config.rb
compass watch my_project and the SCSS files above will automatically
get compiled to your Sass compilation directory whenever a change is made:
HTML5 Boilerplate by Paul Irish
(comments left intact in scss files)
Compass Extension Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Peter Gumeson