The LOFAR pre-facet calibration pipeline.
Parsets for the genericpipeline that do the first calibration of LOFAR data. Originally in order to prepare said data for the Factor facet calibration (https://github.com/lofar-astron/factor), but also useful if you don't plan to run Factor.
- applying Ionospheric RM corrections
- clock-TEC separation with transfer of clock from the calibrator to the target
- some flagging and averaging of amplitude solutions
- grouping of subbands by actual frequency
- speed and disk usage improvements by optimized usage of NDPPP
- (optional) wide-band cleaning in Initial-Subtract
- diagnostic plots
- at least some documentation on the wiki pages
The documentation can be found on the GitHub wiki pages: https://github.com/lofar-astron/prefactor/wiki
There are several pipeline parsets in this repository:
- Pre-Facet-Calibrator.parset : The calibrator part of the "standard" pre-facet calibration pipeline.
- Pre-Facet-Target.parset : The target part of the "standard" pre-facet calibration pipeline.
- Initial-Subtract-Fast.parset : A pipeline that generates full FoV images and subtracts the sky-models from the visibilities. (Needed for facet-calibration.)
- Initial-Subtract-IDG.parset : Same as Initial-Subtract.parset, but uses the image domain gridder (IDG) in WSClean
- Initial-Subtract-IDG-LowMemory.parset : Same as Initial-Subtract.parset, but uses the image domain gridder (IDG) in WSClean for high-res imaging
- Initial-Subtract-Deep.parset : Same as Initial-Subtract.parset, but it does only one image of the full bandwidth instead of imaging the bands separately.
- the full "offline" LOFAR software installation (version >= 3.1)
- LoSoTo (version >= 2.0 -- see https://github.com/revoltek/losoto)
- LSMTool (see https://github.com/darafferty/LSMTool)
- RMextract (see https://github.com/maaijke/RMextract)
- Python (including matplotlib, scipy, and astropy)
- WSClean (for Initial-Subtract; version >= 2.5 -- see https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsclean)
- for Initial-Subtract-IDG(-LowMemory).parset: WSClean must be compiled with IDG (see https://gitlab.com/astron-idg/idg)
- APLpy (for Initial-Subtract)
The Pre-Facet-Calibration pipeline and its scripts where developed by:
- Alexander Drabent
- Martin Hardcastle
- George Heald
- Andreas Horneffer
- Soumyajit Mandal
- David Rafferty
- Carole Roskowinski
- Jose Sabater Montes
- Timothy Shimwell
- Sarrvesh Sridhar
- Reinout van Weeren
- Wendy Williams
With special thanks to Stefan Froehlich for developing the genericpipeline.
The procedure is also mostly described in these papers:
- van Weeren, R. J., Williams, W. L., Hardcastle, M. J., et al. 2016, ApJS, 223, 2
- Williams, W. L., van Weeren, R. J., Röttgering, H. J. A., et al. 2016, MNRAS, 460, 2385