plaso (Plaso Langar Að Safna Öllu)
super timeline all the things
In short, plaso is a Python-based backend engine for the tool log2timeline.
A longer version
log2timeline is a tool designed to extract timestamps from various files found on a typical computer system(s) and aggregate them.
The initial purpose of plaso was to collect all timestamped events of interest on a computer system and have them aggregated in a single place for computer forensic analysis (aka Super Timeline).
However plaso has become a framework that supports:
- adding new parsers or parsing plug-ins;
- adding new analysis plug-ins;
- writing one-off scripts to automate repetitive tasks in computer forensic analysis or equivalent.
And is moving to support:
- adding new general purpose parses/plugins that may not have timestamps associated to them;
- adding more analysis context;
- tagging events;
- allowing more targeted approach to the collection/parsing.