Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
What is stopping you from launching your side project or great idea?
What stops us?
- Adjust your priorities
- Begin coding to get in the mood for coding
- Get people to code with you
- If you're coding for yourself it doesn't have to be the prettiest code in the world
- Find a balance between nice code and code that pisses you off to work on later... Code that you angers you to work on can effect follow through
- Lack of resources
- Online freelancers
- Offer internships to people who need them
- Collaborate with others
- Legal fear (moonlighting)
- Fear of being judged/it not being finished
- "It's never done"
- Closed betas
- Invite groups of people who might be interested from forums and such
- Psudonyms - Hide your real life identity
- "Haters gonna hate"
- Nobody cares?
- Lack of energy
- Lack of interest
- Lack of structure (not knowing where to start)
- Premature optimization
- Not wanting to fail
- Financial security
- Risk aversion - To be successful you need to invest resources, but this can be difficult for financial security
- Realize that the time you've invested has already actually been a lot of money (your time is worth money!) and so putting more money isn't as bad as you think...especially if you believe in it.
- The best way to learn is to try. "The first time will probably fail, so make it cheap."
- Try reading marketing books to help you learn how to sell yourself - they'll teach you how to brand your produt too
- Lack of passion
- Lack of follow through
- Peer pressure
- Get a partner - be accountable to someone else
What are your blockers?
- No resources / Finding talent
- Perception of "not good enough"
- Fear of poor code / being in the spotlight
- No time
- No discipline when working on own projects
- Enterprise culture against moonlighting
- Tried before and failed
- Lack of security (where's my next paycheck)
- Finding a project that you're passionate about
- Follow-through / Finishing
- Financial risk-aversion
- Need interaction to keep interest
- Not knowing where to start
How can we counter these blockers?
No resources / Finding talent
- Use online freelancers
- If you're in city with major universities, consider offering an internship
- Collaborate w/ competitors?
- Talk to people in the community
Perception of "not good enough"
- Deploy a closed beta
- Create feedback groups
- Afraid of ruining a reputation? Consider testing the waters with a pseudonym.
- Reset your expectations of market reaction
- "Haters gonna hate"
- Is the criticism valid? That's a good thing. Take it in stride and improve your product.
- "No time" means you consider it a lower priority
- Block time out to work on it
- Starting is the biggest hurdle
- It can feel like you need a big chunk of time to start, when really that is just an excuse. Start small.
- Utilize Coworking sessions. It's easier to make time if you commit to working in a group setting, even if everyone is working on different things.
- Tendency to skip parts
- Set a budget. Contribute small amounts.
- Read marketing eBooks. Understand the small steps that are needed to create a marketing/advertising plan.
- Consider partnering w/ an evangelist for equity
- Make a plan
- There's a perception of advertising as "scumbaggy". Be genuine.
Follow-through / Finishing
- Use it internally
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.