What can it do?
- Manipulate jQuery interval property and see the effects in realtime.
- See how the interval affects the smoothness of animations.
- Open your system monitor and see how it affects CPU usage. Mozilla only:
- Switch from setInterval() based animation ticks to MozRequestAnimationFrame based animation.
- See the difference between "how often can js run" and "how often can a frame be painted"
What will I learn?
- That decreasing the interval value doesn't really make animations smoother, especially for complex animations.
- That your browser is always doing its best and increasing the interval is not helpful when fps is low.
- That increasing the interval can significantly reduce CPU usage for simple to moderatly complex animations.
- That a MozRequestAnimationFrame based animation logic is currently slower than the traditionnal setInterval based one.
Where can I get it?
There's a live demo where you can grab the bookmarklet.
There's also a video introduction to this demo.