Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Current Release: v0.1
Many have said that ActiveResource is not really “complete”. On the surface, this means that some features that are
documented aren’t implemented. Digging a little deeper, we find that some features that should exist don’t.
Arguably, a “complete” ActiveResource would behave like ActiveRecord or, as the rdoc for ActiveResource states “very
similarly to Active Record”.
Hyperactive Resource is MDL’s extension to ActiveResource::Base written to support our Patient Registry and goes a long
way towards the goal of an ActiveResource that behaves like ActiveRecord.
- Client side validations
- Hooks for before_validate, before_save
- Dynamic finders: find_by_X
- Awareness of associations between resources: belongs_to, has_many, has_one & columns
- Patient.new.name returns nil instead of MethodMissing
- Patient.new.races returns  instead of MethodMissing
- pat = Patient.new; pat.gender_id = 1; pat.gender #Will return find the gender obj
- Resources can be associated with records
- Records can be associated with resources
- ActiveRecord-like attributes= (updates rather than replaces)
- ActiveRecord-like #load that doesn’t #dup attributes (stores direct reference)
- Supports saving resources that :include other resources via:
- Nested resource saving (creating a patient will create their associated addresses)
- Mapping associations ([:gender].id will serialize as :gender_id)
1. Install the plugin via:
cd path/to/rails_root/vendor/plugins git clone git://github.com/lukegalea/hyperactiveresource.git
2. Create a HyperactiveResource where you would normally use ActiveResource and define the meta-data/associations that drive the dynamic magic:
class Address < HyperactiveResource self.columns = [ :street_address, :city, :zipcode, :home_phone_number ] self.belong_tos = [ :country, :state ] self.has_manys = [ :people ] end
3. Enjoy the magic
address = Address.new address.country # nil instead of method_missing address.country_id = 5 address.country #Returns Country.find(5) etc..
Copyright © 2008 Medical Decision Logic, released under the MIT license