The purpose of this repo is to have, what I would consider, a standard standalone sinatra application that someone might want to package.
The goal is to have it work in the following configurations:
- With and without bundler
- With and without rvm
- MRI installable gem
- JRuby installable gem
- Standalone application via bin script
- rackable application via config.ru
- Warble-packaged deployable warfile (both jetty and tomcat)
- Warble standalone winstone warfile
- SSL works with JRuby
Additionally, it needs to be flexible in accepting a single configuration option:
- MRI and Jruby specific gem packages
- Standalone bin execution with and without the custom option (MRI and Jruby)
- Rackup with and without custom option (in config.ru) in MRI and Jruby (both rvm and downloaded)
Warbler. I'm just not having any luck no matter what options I try. I've attempted to make the war:
- With/without gemjar
- With/without executable
- With/without using bundler in warble.rb
- With/without requiring
rubygemsin the config.ru
I've seen every error under the sun in attempting to follow this same application style across three different codebases now:
- Winstone goes into infinite redirect
- LoadErrors on random gems
- Jetty 6 works but Jetty 7 doesn't. Or Tomcat works but no Jetty's work
- jruby-openssl/bouncy castle errors
Fork it and fix it. Use it as a test case. Let me know if I'm just expecting to be able to do too much from a single codebase. Show me where I'm screwing up.
I work in a cross-vm world. At my day job, we're primarily a java shop. I use Ruby (and especially sinatra) for various glue applications and it's much easier to be able to package and deploy those to a container. The developers need to have those applications available locally for testing, so a winstone self-executing war is a godsend (when it works).
In my personal projects (like Noah), I want to reach the biggest possible audience. I want to make it as easy as possible for someone to try out the application. That means supporting all of the use cases above.