Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Game: Blizzard App
Blizzard App is the game launcher for Blizzard. It works with DX11, and expects you to use Windows 7 or higher, or it will start complaining that your operating system is too old.
Dependencies for Blizzard App
Wine dependencies are REQUIRED for proper functionality of Battle.Net and games.
NOTE: While Lutris does provide its own Wine, it doesn't provide the dependencies for it by default.
You NEED TO install them manually.
- To get Wine dependencies on Arch and Arch-based distributions (Antergos, Manjaro), enable multilib and then install
sudo pacman -S wine-staging
- To get Wine dependencies on any other distribution (including Ubuntu, Linux Mint), install Wine Staging by follwing instructions at WineHQ.
If you are using a DXVK or DXVK version of the installer, please get vulkan-loader dependencies as described in How to: DXVK.
They are required to make Battle.Net work.
System dependencies required for Battle.net online access:
- Arch: lib32-gnutls lib32-libldap lib32-libgpg-error
- Ubuntu: libgnutls30:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgpg-error0:i386
- Solus: libgnutls libgnutls-devel libgnutls-32bit libgnutls-32bit-devel openldap-devel openldap-32bit-devel libgpg-error-devel libgpg-error-32bit libgpg-error-32bit-devel
- OpenSuse: libgnutls.so.30 libgnutls-devel libgnutls.so.28 libldap libgpg-error (Or libgpg-error.so.0)
- Fedora: gnutls gnutls-devel openldap openldap-devel libgpg-error (Both i686 and x86_64 versions)
- Gentoo: gnutls libgpg-error
These dependencies you usually get from other software you install, but it could still be missing on a fresh install:
- Ubuntu / Debian: libsqlite3-0:i386
- Fedora: sqlite2.i686 sqlite2.x86_64
- Gentoo: sqlite
- Arch Linux: lib32-sqlite (Need the multilib repo activated in /etc/pacman.conf), lib32-libpulse
- Solus: sqlite3 sqlite3-32bit
- Other distros: Something like that (your debug will complain)
Issues with Blizzard App
Even though Blizzard App works perfectly for installing and launching games when you have the above dependencies installed. There are some things to note.
The installer freezes at ~25% and then returns an error
This is caused by broken or missing installation of 32-bit
It's a very common problem among users who attemped to install Nvidia driver using
.run file. To fix it, it's suggested to completely reinstall your system and get drivers from repositories instead.
A required DLL could not be found
If using OpenGL: Make sure you have 32 bit drivers installed (Blizzard App is 32 bit)
If using DXVK, and it works with OpenGL: Make sure you install Vulkan correctly, including 32 bit.
Spinning Icon, no login buttons
Go to options for Blizzard App - disable hardware acceleration.
You might also have success if you try deleting the app's cache directory, which will be in the wine prefix's
Black screen when starting game
Go to options for Blizzard App - disable streaming
Sleeping Agent / issues with installing / updating :
Click to view screenshots
Greyed out install button:
Blizzard Agent went to sleep:
Here is what you can try:
- Use wine version 3.20 or newer.
- Close Blizzard App fully and wait a bit until all its processes exit. But just in case, terminate Battle.Net, Agent.exe and wineserver with:
killall Agent.exe Battle.net.exe wineserver
Then, inside the prefix Blizzard App is installed in, find
drive_c/ProgramData folder and delete
Battle.net. Open Blizzard App again and wait a little bit, the error should disappear.
To restore your existing game installations after this, simply open Settings>Game Install/Update and click "Scan for Games".
It simply won't start
Try to change executable from
Battle.net Launcher.exe to
Battle.net.exe, and try again.
Blizzard Error: The Application Encountered an unexpected error
This can be caused by bad fonts (for example,
all-repository-fonts from AUR). Try removing them.
It can also be caused by missing 32-bit Vulkan loader. Refer to How-To:-DXVK for instructions.
Various .exe errors
The following .exes will throw errors:
- Battle.net Helper.exe
You can just close the error. If you want to get rid of the errors, use winetricks and change a setting "nocrashdialog".
Limit FPS ingame from Blizzard App
When you install the nvidia-driver package, it might not necessarily install the 32-bit libraries, which is a problem because Battle.net is a 32-bit app. Check your distro documentation for the correct packages.