Game: The Sims 2
The Sims 2 on Linux
Wine dependencies are REQUIRED for proper functionality of The Sims 2 and Origin.
NOTE: While Lutris does provide its own Wine, it doesn't provide the dependencies for it by default.
You NEED TO install them manually.
- To get Wine dependencies on Arch and Arch-based distributions (Antergos, Manjaro), enable multilib and then install
sudo pacman -S wine-staging
- To get Wine dependencies on any other distribution (including Ubuntu, Linux Mint), install Wine Staging by follwing instructions at WineHQ.
Additional system dependencies required for Origin installation:
- Arch: lib32-gnutls lib32-libldap lib32-libgpg-error lib32-libxml2 lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-sdl2 lib32-freetype2 lib32-dbus
- Ubuntu: libgnutls30:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgpg-error0:i386 libxml2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386
Origin In-Game problems
In some cases, The Sims 2 may not be able to start due to Orign In-Game not working properly in Wine. To disable it, you need to open Origin>Application Settings in the top menu, then open Origin In-Game tab and uncheck "Enable Origin In-Game". This should fix the problem and allow The Sims 2 to start.
At the first launch, The Sims 2 will start in fullscreen and quite low resolution (1024:768), so for your first time, you may want to run it in a windowed mode. To do that, simply open the game preferences and in the argument area, enter
- Sim models may explode if Sims 2 won't have your graphics card in its database (and it most certainly won't). To fix this, save and copy this file into
~/drive_c/users/alex/My Documents/EA Games/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection/Config. The folder inside
EA GAMESmay not be called
The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collectionso adjust it according to what you have.
- Almost all thumbnails and family previews render incorrectly. To fix this, add these mods.
- Changing resolution on public lots may result in a black screen. Avoid doing that and simply change it in the town mode.
- Icons above sim’s head (like the one you get for a new friend) cause temporary polygon explosion.