AngularJS Phone Catalog Tutorial Application
This application takes the developer through the process of building a web-application using angular. The application is loosely based on Google phone gallery. Each tagged commit is a separate lesson teaching a single aspect of angular.
The full tutorial can be found at http://docs.angularjs.org/tutorial.
- Get Node.js.
Workings of the application
- The application filesystem layout structure is based on the angular-seed project.
- There is no dynamic backend (no application server) for this application. Instead we fake the an application server by fetching static json files.
- Read the Development section at the end to familiarize yourself with running and developing an angular application.
Commits / Tutorial Outline
You can check out any point of the tutorial using git checkout step-?
To see the changes which between any two lessons use the git diff command. git diff step-?..step-?
- Add ngApp directive to bootstrap the app
- Add simple template with an expression
- Add static html list with two phones into index.html. We will convert this static page into dynamic one with the help of angular.
- Convert the static html list into dynamic one by:
PhoneListCtrlcontroller for the application
- extracting the data from HTML, moving it into the controller as an in-memory dataset.
- converting the static HTML document into an Angular template with the use of the
ngRepeatdirective which iterates over the dataset of phones.
ngRepeatclones its contents for each instance in the dataset and renders it into the view.
- Add a simple unit test to show off how to write tests and run them with Karma
- Add a search box to demonstrate how:
- the data-binding works on input fields.
- to use the
ngRepeatautomatically shrinks and grows the number of phones in the view.
- Add an end-to-end test to:
- show how end-to-end tests are written and how to run them with Protractor.
- prove that the search box and the repeater are correctly wired together.
ageproperty to each phone in the data model.
- Add a
<select>input to change the phone list order.
- Override the default order value in the controller.
- Add unit and e2e tests for this feature.
- Replac the in-memory dataset with data loaded from the server (in
the form of static
phones.jsonfile is loaded using the
- Demonstrate the use of [services][service] and dependency injection.
- The [$http] service is injected into the controller through dependency injection.
- Add phone images and links to new pages that show the phone details.
- Add end2end tests that verify the links to the detail pages.
- Add CSS to style the page just a notch.
Introduce the $route service which allows binding URLs for deep-linking with views:
PhoneCatCtrlwhich governs the entire app and contains $route configuration.
angular-routeusing bower and load the
ngRoutemodule. (Be sure to run npm install again.)
- Copy route parameters to root scope
paramsproperty for access in sub controllers.
- Replace the contents of
ngViewdirective, which will display the partial template of the current route.
Create phone list route:
- Preserve existing
- Move existing html from
Create phone details route:
- Create empty placeholder
PhoneDetailCtrlcontroller to fetch the details for a specific phone from a JSON file using
- Update the template for the phone detailed view.
- Add CSS to make the phone details page look "pretty".
- Add custom
- Update phone detail template to use
- Add unit test for the filter.
In the phone detail view, clicking on a thumbnail image, changes the main phone image to be the large version of the thumbnail image.
mainImageUrlmodel variable in the
PhoneDetailCtrland set its default value.
setImage()controller method to change
- Register an expression with the
ngClickdirective on thumb images to set the main image, using
- Add e2e tests for this feature.
- Add CSS to change the mouse cursor when user points at thumnail images.
- Replace [$http] with $resource.
- Created a custom
Phoneservice that represents the
- Add animations to the application:
- Animate changes to the phone list, adding, removing and reordering phones.
- Animate changes to the main phone image in the detail view.
Development with angular-seed
The following docs describe how you can test and develop further this application.
Running the app during development
- navigate your browser to
http://localhost:8000/app/index.htmlto see the app running in your browser.
Running unit tests
- Ensure the tools are installed: run
- Start Karma with
- A browser will start and connect to the Karma server. Chrome is the default browser, others can
be captured by loading the same url as the one in Chrome or by changing the
- A browser will start and connect to the Karma server. Chrome is the default browser, others can be captured by loading the same url as the one in Chrome or by changing the
End to end testing
Requires a webserver that serves the application. See Running the app during development, above.
- Ensure that the tools are installed: run
- Serve the application: run
- In a separate console run the end2end tests:
npm run protractor. Protractor will execute the end2end test scripts against the web application itself.
- The configuration is set up to run the tests on Chrome directly. If you want to run against
other browsers then you must install the webDriver,
npm run update-webdriver, and modify the configuration at
- The configuration is set up to run the tests on Chrome directly. If you want to run against other browsers then you must install the webDriver,
Application Directory Layout
For more information on AngularJS please check out http://angularjs.org/