Clone this wiki locally
Brain dump of system administration and configuration tools. Don't think of this as a todo list too much.
Display manager / lock screen
- Only support SDDM
- Crypt user / crypt system
- Saved networks, DNS, proxy settings,
- Change passwords, avatars...
- Monitor config
- Default resolution! -> xorg startup conf
- Discrete card autoswitch whitelist
lxqt-config-* is not scalable.
Current problems with system config tools
- Relies on awful menu categories
- It's hard for 3rd party to integrate with anyone.
- All config apps should usually be single-instance
- We want "actions" rather than "apps"
- "Change the screen's resolution". "Set the keyboard layout". etc
- Some actions belong in multiple places
- eg. NTP is both date/time and network
- keyboard/mouse settings are often expected in the same place, but kb settings are also international (layouts)
- both are also accessibility (dblclick speed, sticky keys etc)
How to fix this?
- We can't make a lib for this. Others can disagree with the look&feel
- Needs to be a protocol that can be implemented at a desktop's liking
- dbus apps can probably fix the single-instance issue
- tagging fixes the multiple-places issue
- Desktop Actions for actions?
[Desktop Entry] Name[en]=Keyboard Configuration Actions=Layout;StickyKeys; Categories=SystemSettings; ... [Desktop Action Layout] Name[en]=Change the keyboard layout X-SettingsTags=keyboard;i18n; [Desktop Action StickyKeys] Name[en]=Enable or disable Sticky Keys X-SettingsTags=keyboard;accessibility;
Do we want a dbus api here? dbus apis are annoying for 3rd party to implement.. but implementing dbus support in systemsettings is probably required.