Script to backup a Raspberry Pi disk image
Author / Origin:
Script developed on the RaspberryPi.org forums: The Raspberry Pi Backup Thread.
The script, as copied over to github.com, was primarily written by user:
I found this via a raspberrypi.stackexchange.com answer by user:
The script was taken from here, a post from
Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 am.
I copied the attached file on
Wed Feb 01, 2017 to this git repository.
Usage from Jinx and corrected the mistake of using rsync instead of start in the examples
bkup_rpimage.sh v1.0 by jinx
- bkup_rpimage.sh start [-cslzdf] [-L logfile] sdimage
- bkup_rpimage.sh mount [-c] sdimage [mountdir]
- bkup_rpimage.sh umount sdimage [mountdir]
- bkup_rpimage.sh gzip [-df] sdimage
- start - starts complete backup of RPi's SD Card to 'sdimage'
- mount - mounts the 'sdimage' to 'mountdir' (default: /mnt/'sdimage'/)
- umount - unmounts the 'sdimage' from 'mountdir'
- gzip - compresses the 'sdimage' to 'sdimage'.gz
- -c creates the SD Image if it does not exist
- -l writes rsync log to 'sdimage'-YYYYmmddHHMMSS.log
- -z compresses the SD Image (after backup) to 'sdimage'.gz
- -d deletes the SD Image after successful compression
- -f forces overwrite of 'sdimage'.gz if it exists
- -L logfile writes rsync log to 'logfile'
- -s define the size of the image file
Start backup to
rpi_backup.img, creating it if it does not exist:
bkup_rpimage.sh start -c /path/to/rpi_backup.img
Start backup to
rpi_backup.img, creating it if it does not exist limiting
the size to 8000Mb
bkup_rpimage.sh start -s 8000 -c /path/to/rpi_backup.img
Use the RPi's hostname as the SD Image filename:
bkup_rpimage.sh start /path/to/$(uname -n).img
Use the RPi's hostname and today's date as the SD Image filename, creating it if it does not exist, and compressing it after backup:
bkup_rpimage.sh start -cz /path/to/$(uname -n)-$(date +%Y-%m-%d).img
Mount the RPi's SD Image in
bkup_rpimage.sh mount /path/to/$(uname -n).img /mnt/rpi_image
Unmount the SD Image from default mountdir (
bkup_rpimage.sh umount /path/to/raspi-2014-11-10.img