jPSXdec is a modern, cross-platform PlayStation 1 audio/video converter
Also supports extracting files and TIM images.
Download the latest cross-platform version 0.99.7 (beta) (8 Jan 2017)
See what's new.
Requires Java version 5 or higher.
Some advantages of jPSXdec over legacy tools of the past:
- Generates higher quality output
- Handles more unique movie types
- Converts with the correct colors (most legacy tools did this incorrectly)
- More accurate frame rate detection
- Cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Source code available
- Usable from the command-line (for those so inclined)
jPSXdec is free for non-commercial use.
For developers and modders
jPSXdec offers the ability to replace XA audio, video, and TIM images. Some programming skill is required (see manual for details).
Additionally the PlayStation 1 STR video format is now well documented. View the latest version PlayStation1_STR_format.txt.
jPSXdec contains some modules of interest.
- A pure Java real-time audio/video player
- A pure Java API writer
- MPEG1* I-frame encoder
- Almost lossless translation of MPEG1* I-frames into JPEG images
- JXTreeTable back-ported to Java 1.5
Great care has been put into the 100k lines of code.
- Consistent code style
- Easy to use API (makes common things easy and hard things possible)
- Modularized so sub-packages could be incorporated into other applications
- Great example that Java programs can be as lean 'n' mean as any other language
* PlayStation 1 video frames are nearly identical to MPEG1 I-frames.