Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Clone this wiki locally
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows 7 SP1 (with required updates, see below)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (with required updates, see below)
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows 10
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6
- Microsoft Terminal Services Client 8.0 or later.
- Needed if you use Telnet, SSH, Rlogin or RAW. Included in all packages.
- An approprite and integrated version is included with mRemoteNG.
Citrix ICA Client
- Needed if you use ICA. wfica.ocx must be registered.
Full list of required Windows updates for Windows 7 / Server 2008 clients
The following updates must be present on any Windows 7 or Server 2008 client that will be running mRemoteNG. (They must have been installed in the order provided below):
- KB2574819 - An update is available that adds support for DTLS in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- KB2592687 - Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 8.0 update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
The following are suggested (but not required) for Windows 7 / Server 2008 clients:
- KB2857650 - Update that improves the RemoteApp and Desktop Connections features is available for Windows 7
- KB2830477 - Update for RemoteApp and Desktop Connections feature is available for Windows
- KB2913751 - Smart card redirection in remote sessions fails in a Windows 7 SP1-based RDP 8.1 client
- KB2923545 - Update for RDP 8.1 is available for Windows 7 SP1
- KB2965788 - MS14-030: Description of the security update for Remote Desktop Security Release for Windows: June 10, 2014
- KB2985461 - Error 0x800401f0 when you update RemoteApp and Desktop Connections feeds in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
- KB2984972 - Update for RDC 7.1 to support restricted administration logons on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- KB2984976 - RDP 8.0 update for restricted administration on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
CredSSP updates for CVE-2018-0886
mRemoteNG uses the Microsoft Terminal Services Client (MSTSC) libraries in order to make Remote Desktop connections. mRemoteNG has no control over the functionality changes implemented by Microsoft.
Relevant line of code that shows our "RDP Client" connection "object":
private MsRdpClient8NotSafeForScripting _rdpClient;
Relevant MS documentation for this .NET class: MsRdpClient8NotSafeForScripting class
Please refer to Microsoft's documentation for full details regarding this problem.
Patched clients attempting to connect to Unpatched servers will fail with the following error:
The same error will occur with MSTSC directly on a patched client attempting to connect to an unpatched server.
Per the MS documentation, the only ways around this are to:
- Patch the servers
- set the "Encryption Oracle Remediation" policy to "Vulnerable" - refer to the MS documentation above for details:
- Uninstall KB4103727