CAN Monitor App for macOS®
Copyright © 2013-2023 by UV Software, Berlin.
The MacCAN Monitor App is a little demo program to show the functionally of the PCBUSB library: the macOS® Library for PCAN-USB Interfaces.
MacCAN Monitor App for PCAN-USB Interfaces
The program displays received CAN messages in a table view. Furthermore it is possible to send single standard CAN messages with 0 to 8 data bytes.
Limitations (Demo Program):
- CAN channel and CAN bit rate must be chosen once the program is started; they cannot be changed afterwards.
- PCAN-USB FD devices can only be operated in CAN Classic mode (CAN 2.0).
- The size of the table view is limited to 1024 rows.
- The size of the trace file is limited to 100K frames.
macOS® Library for PCAN-USB Interfaces
The dynamic library libPCBUSB is running under macOS 10.13 and later (Intel architecture and Apple silicon). The API is almost compatible to PEAK´s PCANBasic DLL on Windows. See the MacCAN website to learn more.
Only the following devices from PEAK-System Technik are supported:
- PCAN-USB (product code: IPEH-002021, IPEH-002022)
- PCAN-USB FD (product code: IPEH-004022)
Required Library Version
The minimum required library version is v0.9 (Build 902 of June 25, 2020), but Latest is Greatest.
- macOS 11.0 and later (Intel and Apple silicon)
- OS X 10.13 and later (Intel architecture only)
- macOS Ventura (13.2) on a Mac mini (M1, 2020)
- Apple clang version 14.0.0 (clang-1400.0.29.202)
- Xcode Version 14.2 (14F18)
macOS Big Sur
- macOS Big Sur (11.7.3) on a MacBook Pro (2019)
- Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30)
- Xcode Version 13.2.1 (13C100)
macOS High Sierra
- macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) on a MacBook Pro (late 2011)
- Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)
- Xcode Version 10.1 (10B61)
Known Bugs and Caveats
- For a list of known bugs and caveats see tab Issues in the GitHub repo.
- For a list of known bugs and caveats in the underlying PCBUSB library read the documentation of the appropriated library version.
- PCAN-USB Pro FD devices are supported since version 0.10 of the PCBUSB library, but only the first channel (CAN1).
- Apple´s M1 chip is supported since version 0.10.1 of the PCBUSB library (Universal macOS Binary).
This and That
The PCBUSB library can be downloaded form its GitHub repo (binaries only). Please note the copyright and license agreements.
This work is licensed under the terms of the BSD 2-Clause "Simplified" License.
- Mac and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- PCAN is a registered trademark of PEAK-System Technik GmbH, Darmstadt.
- All other company, product and service names mentioned herein may be trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
- Toolbar icons by Oxygen Team (GNU Lesser General Public License)
- Apple M1 support by Sebastião Beirão (https://github.com/sebashb)
If you connect your CAN device to a real CAN network when using this program, you might damage your application.