This project uses Git Submodules, after cloning need to run the following command so Git will clone and checkout the submodules:
git submodule update --init
Local install (recommended)
- Close Arduino IDE.
- Copy create a macchina folder in the hardware sub-directory of your Arduino directory then copy the contests of this repository.
- This can be either your sketchbook directory (usually /Arduino), or the directory of the Arduino application itself. The choice is up to you.
- Tip: You can clone this repository directly to the destination to avoid copying back and forth:
cd $ARDUINO/hardware # Substitute your actual location for $ARDUINO git clone --recursive https://github.com/macchina/Macchina_Arduino_Boards.git macchina
- Launch Arduino IDE and you should find the Macchina M2 board file installed.
Board Manager Install
- Reference the steps in see
before_deployin .travis.yml to create an archive from your macchina folder and get the size and hash.
- Grab a copy of
package_macchina_index.jsonand edit one of the
packages.platformsentries to match your created archive.
- You can use either a
file://url or serve the files over HTTP locally.
- You can use either a
- Add your modified
package_macchina_index.jsonunder Preferences and download your board with the Board Manager.
To publish a new release, making it available for Arduino IDE users perform the following steps:
- Commit an update to platform.txt with the new version. Follow Semantic Versioning.
- Push an annotated Git tag where the tag name is the version number from platform.txt
- Once the Travis CI build completes, retrigger the Travis CI build for macchina/arduino-boards-index from the Travis CI website.
This variant started as a fork of the
arduino_due_x variant in ArduinoCore-sam. This was done in a way that preserves the ability to merge most upstream changes from the variant.
Variant folder (
Running the following command from a branch in ArduinoCore-sam prepares that branch so it can be merged with the contents in macchina/sam/variants/m2 folder. This should probably be done with some regularity, unless the variant has diverged sufficiently so merging is no longer useful.
git filter-branch --prune-empty --subdirectory-filter variants/arduino_due_x/ -f
Platforms.txt / Boards.txt
Summary: it will be best to update these files manually if upstream changes happen that would be relevant/beneficial.
These files change less frequently, are shorter, and would be a greater source of merge conflicts. To increase tidyness of the repository, they were included in such a way that it would not be easy to use git to merge changes from upstream (it remains possible, but would require
git replace). Since the files change infrequently, checking for changes from time to time and integrating them should be feasible.
For completeness, here is the command to prepare an ArduinoCore-sam branch to match the structure needed for merging with this repository.
git filter-branch \ --force \ --prune-empty \ --index-filter ' git ls-tree -z -r --name-only --full-tree $GIT_COMMIT \ | grep -z -v "^boards.txt" \ | grep -z -v "^platform.txt" \ | grep -z -v "^programmers.txt" \ | xargs -0 -r git rm -q --cached -r ' # Eliminate merge commits git rebase