Tachyon - MementoWeb Plugin for Chrome
This is an experimental plugin, to assess if Chrome's webRequest API makes is easier to create a MementoWeb plugin than it is with Firefox.
Should be possible to bundle it via http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable
- TODO Use lookup when not time-travelling to discover mementos http://developer.chrome.com/extensions/examples/extensions/buildbot/bg.js
- TODO Insert base href into Memento pages so server-level references resolve against the Memento URL?
- TODO Use request types (e.g. 'main_frame'?) to force redirect to the TimeGate?
- TODO Add a UI to enable/disable and to set the desired time, warn when time is before the first memento, etc.
- TODO Add a UI to support navigation between mementos.
- TODO Check for memory leak. Clear data associated with tab when it closes.
- TODO Use http://www.mementoweb.org/tools/validator/ to CI Wayback itself?
In Normal Browsing Mode
- Page Action popup summarises crawls over time, and redirects to historical versions (necessarily switching to Time Travel mode?)
- Badge throbs if you hit a 404 and non-404 archival copies are available.
- If you click the badge, this tab enters Time Travel Mode, and the content is reloaded.
- Target time is the last-selected time?
- Target time defaults to last memento date-time?
- Target time defaults to latest memento if this is a response to a 404 hit?
In Time Travel Mode:
- Only views TimeGate responses or Mementos.
- Target time is fixed per tab, but can be changed manually (which also sets the global default?)
- Memento-Datetime should be clearly displayed somewhere.
- Probably the badge colour needs to strongly indicate any major time-skew.
- Badge colour indicates duration since last archival crawl. Red for none.
- Badge number indicates number of known archival snapshots.
- The main button pop-up shows a TimeGate selector.
Can the interaction be smoother? Say we click on an instance that has a Memento-Datetime, and we are not in Time Travel mode, we should really switch to Time Travel mode using that new Memento-Datetime. However, can we automatically switch out of it, based on how the URL is entered? Do we need tab-scoped Time Travel to make this work?
MementoFox is very slow. Not clear why, but suspect it attempts to block all requests and then re-writes and re-loads them one-by-one.
Firefox does not currently support anything quite like chrome.webRequest, although there may be some similar internal redirect API in future versions. See this link for details: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13279883/how-to-change-script-location-on-firefox-addon
The limitations of the current API mean the Request URI cannot be altered, I think.
Although requests can be blocked: