Evolutionary Bio Classics:
This is a list of books and manuscripts that I believe doctoral level evolutionary biology students should be familiar with. There are several of these lists out there on the internet, for instance: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php/Classic_Works_in_Evolutionary_Biology%E2%80%94The_List_With_Links
- Endler, J. A. 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild
- Fisher, R. A. 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection: http://www.archive.org/stream/geneticaltheoryo031631mbp#page/n11/mode/2up
- Williams, G. C. 1966. Adaptation and Natural Selection
- Boag, P. T., and P. R. Grant. 1981. Intense natural selection in a population of Darwin’s finches in the Galapagos. Science 214: 82-85
- Gould, S. J. and R. C. Lewontin. 1979. The spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian paradigm: a critique of the adaptationist programme. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B. 205:581-598.
- Grant, P. R. and B. R. Grant. 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin’s Finches. Science 296:707-711.
- Hamilton W. D. and M. Zuk. 1982. Heritable true fitness and bright birds: a role for parasites? Science 218:384-387.
- Orr, H. A., and J. A. Coyne. 1992. The genetics of adaptation: a reassessment. American Naturalist 140:725-742
- M. Z. Ludwig, et al., "Evidence for stabilizing selection in a eukaryotic enhancer element," Nature 403 (2000), 564-567
- A. L. Hughes and M. Nei, "Patter of nucleotide substitutions at major histocompatibility complex class I loci reveals overdominant selection," Nature 335 (1988), 167-170.
- N. A. Moran, "Accelerated evolution and Muller's Ratchet in Endosymbiotic bacteria," PNAS 93 (1996), 2873-2878.
- J. H. McDonald and M. Kreitman, "Adaptive protein evolution at the AHD locus in Drosophila," Nature 351 (1991), 652-654
- T. Miyata and T. Yasunaga, "Rapidly evolving mouse alpha globin related pseudogene and its evolutionary history," PNAS 78 (1981), 450-453.
- Tomoko Ohta, "Slightly Deleterious Mutant Substitutions in Evolution," Nature 246 (1973), 96-98
- Bateman (1948) “Intra-sexual selection in Drosophila”
- Lewontin 1970 The Units of Selection http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.es.01.110170.000245?journalCode=ecolsys.1&
- Hickey 1982 SELFISH DNA: A SEXUALLY-TRANSMITTED NUCLEAR PARASITE http://www.genetics.org/content/101/3-4/519.long
- Trivers&Wilard 1973
- Losos 2009 Adaptation and diversification on islands http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v457/n7231/full/nature07893.html
- Emlen 2012 A Mechanism of Extreme Growth and Reliable Signaling in Sexually Selected Ornaments and Weapons http://www.sciencemag.org/content/337/6096/860.abstract
- Trivers, R. L. 1974. Parent-offspring conflict. American Zoologist 14:249-264
- Trivers, R. L. 1971. The evolution of reciprocal altruism. Quarterly Review of Biology 46:35-57
- Mary Jane West-Eberhard (1983) Sexual Selection, Social Competition, and Speciation The Quarterly Review of Biology Vol. 58, No. 2 http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2828804?sid=21105350145221&uid=2&uid=4
- Axelrod and Hamilton 1981. The Evolution of Cooperation. http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1386881.files/Game%20Theory/Axelrod_The%20evolution%20of%20cooperation_81.pdf
- Emlen and Oring 1969 Ecology, sexual selection, and the evolution of mating systems http://www.sciencemag.org/content/197/4300/215.extract