netsnmp-pcap - SNMP extension which captures network traffic and reports the number of packets captured, and the throughput
This program is a port of bsnmpd-pcap, the pcap plugin for FreeBSD's bsnmpd, as an AgentX for Net-SNMP, written in C using libpcap and libevent. It allows you to measure arbitrary network traffic, in packets or octets, using the pcap(3) library. Multiple flows of traffic can be measured by setting as many network monitors, with different filters.
To install this software, you need:
- a C compiler
- libevent2 (http://libevent.org/)
- libpcap (http://www.tcpdump.org/)
- Net-SNMP (http://www.net-snmp.org/)
Because the SNMP/AgentX component does not currently works, a program (bin/netsnmp-pcap-stats-reader) is provided to allow an easy integration of the results within Net-SNMP. This program needs Perl 5.8 or later with the additional modules: JSON::XS, SNMP::Extension::PassPersist
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- The names of contributors to this software may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Sebastien Aperghis-Tramoni (firstname.lastname@example.org)